About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Saturday, February 18, 2012

And better. Well, mostly.

Work, per se, went almost as smoothly on Thursday and Friday as it did before we moved to the two new programs. My desk looks like it did, back in those thrilling days of yesteryear. I completed all of my to-do’s and dealt with the mail (and most of the email) in a timely manner. I have two new suits to open next week, and two more for the week after that. The first two are in two neat piles, with everything I need to set up the paper file (such as it is) and mail off the bits that I will create when I open them. My attorney was out both days, and I got everything taken care of for Attorney B, and Attorney C (for whom I am backup every other Friday, as his secretary has a compressed work week) needed nothing from me, and I remembered to log off the postage meter at the end of the day (one of my adjunct duties when the person ordinarily in charge, is out of the office).

The temple on Thursday night was even better than usual. I was home a little after 10:00 and headed straight for the kitchen table for some cookies and milk and a thorough perusal of the latest Pottery Barn catalogue. The cat was so loving that had I not known he was a neutered male, I would have taken him for a lovelorn female.

Friday night I was double-booked and didn’t remember until the activity I attended with Beloved was over and we were heading on to dinner. *Facepalm*. I stood up Firstborn and probably Secondborn and my hair magician and who knows who else. I left Firstborn a voicemail and a text message. She still loves me. Whew!

Last week was, frankly, brutal and by the time 5:00 rolled around I was half past brain-dead. Which I am easing up on now.

Woke up at 4:30 this morning after about six(!) hours of sleep and headed straight for my studio. By the time we left for the hospital to get Beloved’s chemo pump removed, I had moved nine boxes of food and kitchen stuff to more appropriate locations, plus the small cooler (six-pack size); put one of my short metal filing cabinets in what I think will be its new place; had a (perfectly adequately balanced) stack of boxes play lemming and leap for the floor, showering two of my plastic drawer towers with the contents of my water glass but not breaking the glass itself; removed the contents of the drawers that got showered and spread them out to dry; and eaten a second breakfast when Beloved woke up.

Banking is done. We now have a joint account at his bank. Pump is off. We hit two grocery stores on the way home and made a lovely batch of soft tacos for lunch. Beloved is taking a one-hour nap. I am letting lunch settle a little more, then will do the same. My goal is to get all of the bookcases moved into my studio (and out of the dining room), even if they are not all filled by bedtime.

When I was driving home from work last night, I tilted my head to one side, and my range of motion was pain-free and significantly greater than a month ago. So I tilted it to the other side. Same result. It was a long light, so I felt my traps, just inside my collar. Not as relaxed as Beloved’s, but no longer resembling suspension cables for any major bridge you’d care to mention.

This marriage thing? I think it might be good for me!

OK, naptime, and then more shoving-around-of-boxes, and I’m planning to make the leek and potato soup I was craving last weekend when we couldn’t get the grocery stores to cooperate by providing leeks. We were victorious this weekend, and I have three sassy organic leeks for roughly what I would spend for ordinary ones at Central Market.

Life is good. And soon to be leek-flavored. Oh, and first baby sock (church knitting for the past two weeks) is done, all but weaving in the ends. Woohoo!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Isn't it nice to feel caught up and productive in so many areas of your life?