About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Better.

The morning meeting ran an hour long. The afternoon meeting finished on time. So I only lost three hours yesterday, not four. I did not complete the two items that Attorney B wanted me to do yesterday for his trial on Monday, but my attorney is out all day in depositions (and thus cannot be dictating new work for me), and tomorrow morning as well. If I catch another day of light mail, then I will complete those two items for attorney B and a report which absolutely must go out today, which now takes precedence. (I did talk to attorney B about the first items, and he said today would do just as well.) Then I can bang out the fourth item tomorrow morning and be, in theory, all caught up on my to-do’s.

I am still struggling to get my email properly filed. And there is some mandatory training which will eat another hour, but maybe I can finish that tomorrow afternoon. Maybe. In the meantime, I did the first two of fourteen installments of that just before going home last night.

In this ward the home teaching and visiting teaching assignments are currently being combined, at least when a married man is assigned as the home teacher. So last night Beloved gave the home teaching message to one of our dear sisters, and I gave her the visiting teaching message, and then we just sat and visited for the better part of an hour. She’s a good woman, with a lot on her plate right now, but she is visibly doing better than she was a month ago. I am looking forward to truly becoming her friend. Beloved has been her home teacher for quite some time. We have a visit set up for after church on Sunday (we teach the bishop and his family!) and another single sister next week. I am so thankful that Beloved has a testimony of the importance of home teaching and visiting teaching and just service in general; it’s one of the things I love best about him.

We are rotating out the older items in his three month supply. Last night it was a carton of squash soup his mother had picked up on one of their jaunts to Costco. Neither of us was a big fan of the squash soup. I had a single ladle full and peppered it liberally (the man is corrupting me!); he had given himself a larger portion. The rest of it went down the drain, with no apology on his part and zero guilt on mine. You know how I am about wasting food. This stuff fits squarely into the will sustain life category.

Beloved has chemo today. I have the temple tonight. It’s going to be a long day for both of us, but I suspect mine will be significantly more edifying than his. We’ve already begun it with a major, mutual laughing fit. This bodes well.

Tomorrow night we are meeting up with some of the recent graduates from the singles program. Most of them will go on to a movie afterward, but it will be a Friday-after-chemo for us, and Beloved will be tired, and that will be our excuse not to spend some of our Scotland money on a movie. Saturday morning he gets the pump off, and we put me on his bank accounts, and then I hope to just come home and have some serious puttering time in my studio, so that we can get the bookcases moved out of our dining room before we feed the missionaries the following Saturday.

I have not seen my kids or grandchildren since the wedding. I miss them. And we both want to start having one couple/tribe or another over for dinner, and eventually have the grands come spend the night (those who are not allergic to the cat).

Beloved is fixing eggs and toast. I’m going to go make myself useful, as well as ornamental.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

We miss you too. Plus we have some gifts for y'all (from both in-laws and out-laws).

We would love to get in on the rotations for dinners.

Bonnie said...

We miss you at least as much as the Pfeifers do... :)

We'll make it easy on you with the grandkids, b/c only my oldest qualifies for overnight visits at the moment (K-man is allergic to cats, T the destroyer is not potty trained).