About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Just checking in.

The past two mornings, I’ve leaped out of bed and headed straight for the studio to unpack boxes. Two big one before breakfast, yesterday, and a big one and little one today. Plus a whole bunch more with contents labeled for future reference. I am almost ready to move another bookcase in along that wall. The long bookcase/sofa table that I made with Brother Sushi’s help, will need to go out into the garage for Beloved’s workshop, unless it will fit between the IKEA armoire and the north wall. And I think that’s a just-won’t scenario.

Work has been mostly terrific this week. I am getting a lot done. On the other hand, when I got there yesterday I learned that one of the paralegals had been let go. It’s one of those situations where it’s none of my business, and more than a little unnerving, because to the best of my knowledge she is a woman of impeccable integrity. And one of my friends. So, I am sad both for her and for myself. I did talk it over with Beloved this morning, and I feel a little better, but still.

The second baby sock now has a neatly-turned heel. I did that at Knit Night last night. Between work and Knit Night, I picked up a button for Beloved’s camo shorts, and thread, and needles, and a purple silicone thimble, because while I know where my scissors are, the rest of the necessary supplies are in a box. In my studio. Somewhere. This will also enable me to do a quick mending job for a mutual friend. That will be tonight’s task.

Beloved has already taken off to pick up his mom for her doctors’ appointments. Time for me to fire up his red car and head to work. Lorelai is in the shop, having a whole raft of things done that most mortals are able to take care of as they crop up, but which my cash flow and/or mindset have not allowed. So she is getting a new catalytic converter (the O2 sensors are just fine), new tires, new timing belt, tune-up, new spark plugs et al, alignment, new tires, and three new motor mounts. And probably things I am not remembering at the moment, but which are typed into a Word document on my computer at work. She might be ready to pick up after work today. Or it might be tomorrow. In the meantime, I am making peace with an American car. And very grateful that we have a spare.

Notwithstanding how much I’m going to have to pull from my line of credit to pay for this, it is still cheaper than buying a new car, and I’m hoping it will extend her useful life another five years or so, which would be a record for me. Typically I kill a car every six years or so.

Gotta scoot. Carefully, because I’m not sure his car likes me. I have to fire her up (maybe it’s a him?) before I buckle in, otherwise the anti-theft device locks everything up. I get there. I get there, and I’m slow.

No comments: