About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

At least it’s not boils, right?

This is one of those times when I’m thankful that the glass is half empty. I broke out in hives yesterday. For awhile, I looked as if I had those little red stickers along the crease of my knees and up the back of my thighs. As if I were a really great deal at a garage sale. I’ve already consulted the Google and Thummim, and it can’t be shingles, because shingles only shows up on one side of the body at a time. It doesn’t look like chigger bites, either, although the itch factor is pretty much equivalent. Aloe gel seems to help. I woke up in the middle of the night and wandered out to the kitchen for some vitamin D3 and one of Beloved’s turmeric capsules. The cat ambled out from wherever he’d been hiding and rubbed along my legs. Aughhh! I love you, Cricket, but I seem to have acquired a case of please-do-not-contact dermatitis.

Mostly, I am laughing about this. Or at least grinning. One of my favorite sayings in the church is that we are not mortal beings here to have spiritual experiences, but spiritual beings here to have mortal experiences. I am definitely feeling my mortality today. But it’s not boils, or skin cancer, or radiation poisoning, or bubonic plague, or leprosy. It’s just hives. And sooner or later, they will go away. The Google and Thummim says generally within 24 hours, which is lovely to contemplate, because that means I might be normal (stop laughing) before quitting time.

I wondered if it might be the new, improved laundry detergent, but Beloved says he’s been using it for the past two or three weeks, and the hives are localized. And it blew up mid-afternoon, so I think it might have been something at lunch. I’m wondering if it’s the green peppers (which would make Beloved weep; we are having a bumper crop of peppers this summer, everything from bell to jalapeno to habanero, and he has Plans).

In happier news, I have six more pattern repeats and then the garter stitch border, and the second half of the pillow back will be done.

I would love to stay home and have Beloved slather aloe on my legs every 15 minutes while I lie on my stomach and knit, but he has other things to do, and so do I. If we had a hot tub I would fill it with chamomile teabags and steep all day.

(No) film at 11. ♥

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Hope your are feeling "normal" again.