About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, June 04, 2012

“Who was that masked [weekend]?”

“I don’t know, but he left [these] silver [cankles].”

I need a weekend to rest up from my weekend, but it was a happy, glorious blur After work on Friday, I picked up gift cards for Lark, my great-nephew, a girl in our ward, and the son of one of Beloved’s former bishops who has moved elsewhere in Texas. Also three greeting cards. And I matched up gift cards to greeting cards, stamped some envelopes, and set others aside for hand delivery. Got a call from Lark, asking how they were going to get me my ticket for her graduation. I learned that the time she had given me via text message was two hours later than her graduation. Good thing she called, right?

I then made a pot of risotto a la Ravelled (i.e., not tarted up with pepper), enjoyed a bowl and a smaller portion for dessert, and was in bed, ankles already protesting, by 10:00.

Beloved still wasn’t home from delivering his mom, whom he had picked up at the airport earlier that evening, up to his eldest’s house, and our birthday gift to eldest’s wife. This was the first time since we married in January, that we did not have family prayer at the end of the day. I hope it will be the last, but I could not keep my eyes open one moment longer.

I was up at dark thirty, knitting a little, cleaned up, and drove over to Secondborn’s, to meet Firstborn and get my ticket and follow them to TCU. We found a relatively shady spot in which to wait until the doors opened for seating. (I parked myself on the edge of a planter and knitted.) Given that there were 800+ graduates, it was a blessedly brief occasion.

I did not stay for family pictures but came back home, by way of an increasingly frantic search for a gas station. It took me two hours to get home. I finally gave up on the idea of using my gas card and just went to Racetrac. Shortly after I got home, we hopped in the truck and went to our friend Rosa’s wedding reception.

We tried to hang the cabinet on the wall in the bathroom and kept running into technical difficulties, so we did the intelligent thing and went to bed. Beloved will see if he can pick up shorter screws that will fit the thingies we have installed in the wall. The thingies went in like a charm, and we were able to screw in one screw completely, but two of them ran into something on the other end and stuck out by about half an inch. And we ran out of thingies. So we carefully took the cabinet off the wall and called it a night.

Yesterday was another blur. I started the day with cankles. Went to church, taught my lesson, came home, helped with some of the preparations for dinner, went to Lark’s party at the home of other grandparents, hugged a lot of people, stayed half an hour, and came home so I could be here when our guest (one of the former petri’s) came to dinner.

We had a blast! She is a lovely woman, inside and out (I know some of you think it strange that I like his other, former girlfriends). And I have leftovers for lunch today, including blackberry cobbler.

My ankles were screaming by the end of the evening, so I dug out my foot roller and worked on the soles of my feet, then ran a massage ball up and down my lower legs and ankles. I need to do a little more of that before getting ready for work today, but I feel ever so much better than I did. I will be drinking lots and lots of water today.

And now if you will all excuse me, I need to help Beloved install the tolltag in the truck, so he can make the drive to Denton and use the Ondamed machine.

I am reading a marvelous book that Beloved brought home, written by President Hinckley's daughter and her husband, about how to learn more while serving in the temple. It’s a quick read, a little over 100 pages, 90 or so of which I read last night while working on my feet and legs. I can probably finish it before breakfast.

I am nearly done with the first part of the pillow back. It should be done in the next day or so, and the second part cast on. I think I may very well crochet the pieces together. It would be ever so much fun to finish the second bit and have the putting-together already half done.

Anyway, that’s where my head is at this morning. I am achy and tired and stiff, but I am not in pain, and I am looking forward to a nice rest-up at only full tilt at work today.

Remind me to tell you about the sassy note I left Beloved about the risotto...

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I almost fell asleep about fifty times today at work. I totally needed another day to recover from this weekend. It took all my strength to be nice to the egg donor.