About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Charity begins at home.

A friend in my ward shared a link on Facebook to a locally-run charity which benefits women artisans and their families in Peru. I've put a link here on my homepage. 100% of the sales receipts go to the artisans. All overhead is paid by donations. I can spare $25 a month to make another artistan's life better. Can you?

In less virtue-signaling news, I haven't accomplished much for Saturday. We did the Costco and Kroger run, picked up fresh dairy, and I indulged at Hobby Lobby: an earring spinner, a plaque for my kindness wall at work, and a ball of cordonnet cotton in subtly variegated creams and beiges. I've decided that the beading I began on my 20 year old cotton skirt two or three months ago (but did not finish) is not what I'm wanting, so it will be replaced with embroidery, perhaps including a foray into sashiko.

Mostly I've been reading. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my third issue of The Economist, and I read a little over 10 pages in The Book of Mormon tonight. Knit has barely happened. A lovely nap did happen, and I washed and hung up a single load of my Gudrun Sjoden brights.

When I saw my friend's post on Facebook, I thought, I would like to do that. And when I read King Benjamin's address tonight, he reinforced that impression. (Mosiah 4:16-19, 22-23)

16 "And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.

17 "Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—

18 "But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.

19 "For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

22 "And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life belongeth; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done.

23 "I say unto you, wo be unto that man, for his substance shall perish with him; and now, I say these things unto those who are rich as pertaining to the things of this world."

Convicted, as our Baptist cousins would say.

No comments: