About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

There are times when I hate being right.

Last night was one of them. The Insomnia Fairy did, indeed, pay me a call. I got maybe three hours of sleep before my head exploded. I did manage to get another couple of hours before work, and I was dragging all day.

I've cast on a sock for me, out of the self-striping yarn I bought from Modern Daily Knitting. I'm using a free pattern recommended by the manufacturer and am about halfway done with the ribbing for the cuff. I'm really liking this yarn and am discovering that yarns which are 75% wool and 25% nylon can have a wide range of textures. I have some that is rather limp and almost squeaky. This feels slightly dry, a bit bouncy, but not scratchy. I really can't feel the nylon as it slips through my fingers.

Still enjoying New Tricks. I can easily identify with Brian, who has mental health issues, a phenomenal memory (OK, that's not an exact equivalent, for me), and a serious case of oh-look-shiny with all of his projects. I love that while his friends rib him about his eccentricities, they also love and respect him. He's the team's geek, and they rely on his strengths. I also identify with Esther, his wife. It's one thing for me to deal with the pluses and minuses of my own quirks. It's another to savor and/or work around those of my beloved bipolar bears. (Unlike Brian, all three of us are consistently med-compliant.) Esther just rolls with it. Our generation of women were reared to tend to the needs of others. That is a most excellent thing. It builds character; it builds families; and it builds communities. And we're not always good at appropriate self-care. But we can be taught.

No comments: