About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, May 03, 2022

From Strength to Strength

This is a magnificent book, read by the author, who is most engaging. He's one of my favorite columnists in Atlantic, and I will be referring back to this book often. I've also put a couple more on my wishlist for later.

Next audiobook, however, will be Love in the Time of Cholera. I've heard it praised for years but until now had little to no interest in reading a translation.

Last night I ordered the most recent, most comprehensive editions of French for Dummies and Spanish for Dummies. Have I mentioned that one of my young friends at work is fascinated by other languages, French in particular? He is fluent in Spanish and English. I asked him if he'd be open to our teaching one another. He is. The books will make sure that I don't inadvertently teach him something incorrect just because it's been more than half a century since I studied French in high school and more than twenty years since I decided to resurrect my high school French by reading Le Livre du Mormon and singing Les Cantiques. I also need to acquire Spanish editions of the scriptures for my study here at home.

But tonight I'm going to hide in my room and watch at least two episodes of Balthazar. It's very French. Occasional flashes of the odd breast here and there, and loving expositions of the good doctor working out in at least every other episode. Whatever the French equivalent of "a six-pack" is, he has it, vraiment! Also, zut alors!

No comments: