About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Saturday, May 26, 2007

This is what obedience looks like



These are the water barrels that I learned to clean at church a couple of weeks ago. And one perfectly shabby-chic corner of my coffee table, made from a door that used to hang on a henhouse, among other places. When I was cleaning and sanding the table to repaint it, I removed several thin layers of wood across the back, some of which had notations of how many eggs were gathered on a given date.

The barrels are now over by the front door that we never use, awaiting the arrival of a couple of bung wrenches and siphon tubes, one set to keep here and the other to send with LittleBit when she flies the coop in a year or two. Wouldn't do either of us any good to store a two-week emergency supply of water if we can't get to it in the event of an actual emergency.

I have been enjoying the couch recently. Ditto the fancy-schmancy TV. After work last night I attended a wedding reception for the lovely daughter of good friends at church. The video store was on the way home, and I scored four new movies from the 4 for $20 table. Since LittleBit was spending the night at a girlfriend's home to celebrate both of them surviving their junior year, I stretched out on the couch with my Rebuilding Greenburg block and two movies. One I probably won't keep [Failure to Launch] and one I probably will [In Her Shoes].

Alert the media: I stayed awake until 1:30 this morning. Me, the queen of faceplant-in-guacamole at 8:30. And I slept until nearly 7:00! I have since enjoyed a sensible breakfast of apple oatmeal, and I just polished off the leftover half of a nuked sweet potato with *real* maple syrup drizzled on it, because I was dozing off during Steve Martin's remake of Pink Panther.

I can't decide what to do next. LittleBit's hoodie is as done as I can make it until I buy some of those foam blocking boards like Wendyknit's, and that won't happen until next payday. I just realized that I was knitting when I should have been putting together the drive-by-fooding for the missionary elders. Obviously, insufficient protein consumption chez nous, and nowhere near enough sleep. So I guess the next thing is to put on a pair of shoes and head to the grocery store and take care of that small detail.

I think I'm only going to be good for two blocks for Rebuilding Greenburg. Heaven knows that I have a ton of suitable yarn in the stash, all of that stuff I bought when Brother Stilts moved to MO so he would also sell me his stash of vintage mohair. But after arm-wrestling five cabled panels into submission for the hoodie, a bushel of simple diagonally-knit garter stitch blocks does not qualify as a Real Good Time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your comment about the "My Boyfriend is Back" sock yarn. It made me laugh.

Tola said...

you inspire me to be more obedient