About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Atmospherics

Another draft rescued [?] from the list, embellished and updated. The next paragraph was written on a Wednesday at 10:20am, back in May 2007 when it was raining like crazy.

“It is darker than the inside of a hat out there. Ordinarily I can look out the glass double doors at the front of our suite, across the atrium, through the opposite suite, and see a glass-clad skyscraper. When it’s snowing, I can see bits of white falling against a deep turquoise background. Today it is raining so hard that it looks as if the far windows have been painted Prussian blue. The trim around the far window in the opposite suite glows a warm cream against the mahogany that frames the interior window.”

We had another day like that yesterday. Because of the glass roof above our atrium, I can watch the play of light across the atrium-facing walls of the opposite suite. At one point the storm was so intense that the creamy white wall was washed in ochre and teal.

We were threatened with sideways rain on Monday. At least downtown, that did not materialize, though it was quite windy all day. I walked over to the tunnels after driving in, because I had forgotten to spray my hair before leaving the house. [There’s a pharmacy one level below the Bank of America building.] I was windblown and elated by the time I got back to my building with my hairspray.

When I pulled out of the parking garage last night, it was raining, mixed with sleet or possibly light hail. Mostly there was just a lot of rain as I drove to Knit Night.

Building maintenance came up to our office several times to put up their paraphernalia that collects rainwater leaking down from the roof. One of the perils of having one’s office in an historical building with a flat roof is that it is never entirely patched. And we are on the top floor, though there is a small penthouse suite above us, where another company has their office.

The jacket that I ordered on closeout from an online outlet at 70% off, arrived safely yesterday afternoon. I took it down to my trunk during my break. It’s brown suede, embroidered and beaded, and utterly scrumptious. I’ll try to post a picture of it in the next few days. Am hoping that the weather will be right to wear it to work on Friday, for the museum outing after work. The skirt that I ordered at the same time, was sold out in my size.

Good progress on Middlest’s second sock yesterday. I have four and a half repeats above the ribbing, out of the eleven I’ll need before starting the heel. And I very much enjoy this pattern. I will probably make it again, for me, but in 100% wool. The Pace is a pleasure to knit, and I think she will be very comfortable in these socks.

Time to go read today’s Non Sequitur and work the AARP puzzles, then rustle up some breakfast and head out the door. Happy Wednesday, everybody!

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Hope we all get to see you modeling the new brown suede jacket. Thank you for the Non Sequitur. It's been a daily read since you talked about it some time ago.