About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

S C A T T E R G O R I E S

Because the knitting is just plugging along and I’m still pondering ideas and impressions from the singles’ conference last weekend, I am resurrecting old drafts. I saw this meme on Jerry’s blog, last August:

SCATTERGORIES ... and it’s harder than it looks! Here are the rules:

* Use the 1st letter of your name to answer each of the questions.
* They MUST be real places, names, things ... NOTHING made up!
* If you can’t think of anything, skip it.
* You CAN’T use your name for the boy/girl name question.
* If your name happens to start with the same letter as mine, sorry, but you can’t use my answers!

My name: Lynn

1. Famous Singer/Band: Loreena McKennitt, Lena Horne, Lotte Lenya
2. Four letter word: Love
3. Street: Lovers Lane [lived in a place we called La Casa Cucaracha on Lovers Lane, ten years ago]
4. Color: Lilac
5. Gifts/Presents: Lingerie [not that I would know! I would deck anyone who gave me some, probably including any future husband!]
6. Vehicle: Lotus, Lamborghini
7. Things in a Souvenir Shop: Lorgnettes
8. Boy Name: Lester
9. Girl Name: Lolita
10. Movie Title: Labyrinth
11. Drink: Lemonade
12. Occupation: Lawyer
13. Celebrity: Lorna Luft, Lorenzo Lamas, Lionel Richie, Larry King, Liberace, Lyle Lovett
14. Magazine: Ladybug
15. U.S. City: Lewisville, TX
16. Pro Sports Teams: Lakers [nobody is more surprised than I am that I could come up with this one]
17. Fruit: Lemon
18. Reason for Being Late for Work: Libido [long ago, in a galaxy far, far away]
19. Something You Throw Away: Litter
20. Things You Shout: Look out!
21. Cartoon Character: Lois Lane

I added another nine rounds to Middlest’s socks yesterday. It took me the better part of an hour to figure out where I’d gone wrong on the round that transitions between the ribbing and the pattern proper.

Stopped at Central Market near downtown Dallas after work last night and picked up all sorts of goodies. Three kinds of cheese [Wensleydale with cranberries, chipotle cheddar, and Kerrygold] a loaf of batard bread [why on earth would our French cousins call this “b@st@rd bread”; it tastes perfectly legitimate to me], an individual quiche that I tried to eat only half of and failed utterly, two links of turkey and sundried tomato sausage, and one perfect little semi-boned quail.

We will blame that last on No Reservations, which I rented two weeks ago and followed last night with Mostly Martha. I like both versions, while agreeing that the German original is more subtle. I love the music in both, and jazz is ordinarily my least-favorite genre, other than rap.

I remember whining in an earlier post about the impossibility of buying a single stalk of celery, when all I ever need is a recipe’s worth. I found a way around that yesterday: the salad bar at Central Market, where I picked up maybe a stalk and a half, already washed and chopped. Waldorf salad, here we come! I also bought varieties of apple and potato. Love my job and am so not in the mood to go into work. I just want to stay home and putter in the kitchen and listen to Andrea Bocelli.

I think it’s safe to say that spring is in the air, chez nous!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I feel your pain about the whole "like my job but don't want to be there when there are so many other things I could be doing right now" mentality.