About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wunnis Ponnis Time

Long, long ago, in a family far, far away, there was a dear little girl who mis-heard the phrase “once upon a time” and was overheard telling her baby sister, “Wunnis ponnis time, there was a ...”

Funny, the things that come back to you at odd moments. Firstborn at barely-two, standing by the window, looking for her Papa to come home, and telling me, “Winnie-Pooh Daddy home tuck honey.” Reminding me of my promise, “We will go swimming in the pool when Daddy comes home in the truck, honey.”

I think I know what the next project will be. These socks in this yarn:



LotusBlossom’s Harbor, bought on eBay early last year. Which was half a sock ...



... last June and then frogged. My blog posts back then tell me that this wants to be knitted up on 00’s or 000’s. It is a very fine fingering weight, and 0’s just make too airy a fabric.

Remember when I was gathering things for family preparedness? I need to do a bit more of that; pick up a rolling cart for LittleBit’s 72-hour kit. I never quite got around to that, last year. And I’d like her to be prepared when she moves into a place of her own. And likewise hand off Fourthborn’s and Fiance’s kits to them.

I thought I had found the yarn for Fur Sure. Ordered it, got the confirmation, and came home to an email saying “sorry, we have two less skeins than we thought we did; do you want what we have?” No, thank you. If all else fails I will get my hands on some Welsh pencil roving and spin my own darn yarn. Or just use multiple strands smooshed together; depends upon how impatient I am at that point.

Do any of you have a source for cakes of Welsh pencil roving? I’m thinking moorit, rather than grey or brown; there’s a definite red undertone to my opossum fur.

In the “Everybody Sitting Down?” department, there was an email waiting for me when I woke up this morning. From one of the guys in the dinner group. Asking if I were feeling better after last weekend. And if I were well enough to attend the singles’ conference that begins tonight and continues through the weekend. Which I am now, suddenly, looking forward to with a bit more enthusiasm.

I’ve printed off the pattern for Anastasia and cast on 13 stitches for the Wendy II toe that is my current favorite.

No comments: