About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Jailhouse Rock and Culture on the Hoof

If You Can’t Find a Partner, Grab a Wooden Chair

I called the jail on Thursday to let them know that the children’s father is diabetic and not taking his insulin, so that if he gets/got weird, that would be the first thing to check. I also asked if he would be out in time for LittleBit’s graduation in June.

They told me he was scheduled for release this Sunday night. Other members of the extended family who have sat out warrants for traffic tickets, say that Arlington must have a higher per diem rate than the places where they were “guests”.

Maybe he’s getting a senior citizen discount? [He was 67 on his last birthday.]

Main Street Arts Festival

Here’s a link to the musician we heard. Dancing in the streets? That would be us! She did a cover of “Travelin’ Shoes” that blew me away. I knew the song from when Maria Muldaur recorded it, umpteen years ago. This is Ruthie’s newest CD; I will buy it next Friday. “Travelin’ Shoes” is on this CD.

I also brought home four business cards: one for a jeweler whose work utilizes loose gemstone beads as both decoration and locking clasp. The styles are not “me”, but her designs are amazing! And three artists whose work spoke to me. I have bookmarked their websites, and once I have secured the giclée prints that I want, I will be happy to share that information with you. [Yes, I am going all Wollmeise-in-the-shopping-cart on you. The Arts Festival fell squarely between two paydays. If this were next Saturday, I would be standing at the door of the frame shop when it opened, and my debit card would still be cooling off.]

I think good art is that which makes you go “ohhhh” inside and get a little teary.

I also saw a T-shirt that I liked. White lettering on black, and it said something like, “I just haven’t felt the same since that house fell on my sister.”

One last comment on the Arts Festival, and it might sound like a complaint, but it isn’t. I've always gone with Brother Karitas, before. He’s an artist. We linger. We talk to the artists. Last night was an entirely different kind of fun. The six of us dashed here and breezed through there, and I barely saw anything, but still we did a lot of oohing and ahhing. And a lot of counting-of-heads. I asked the Good Brother if he felt like a Sheltie with a particularly unruly herd of sheep. He roared.

I may do the unheard-of and ask for his input on a screen name.

Today’s Agenda

Trunk show from Knitting Little Luxuries, at Yarns Ewenique
Chauffeuring Fourthborn and Fiancé to the grocery store
Dinner and dancing with the usual suspects
Knitting, lots of knitting
Spinning, dadgummit!

Knitting Progress

When I stand and hold up [Almost] Cozy with the cast-on edge at my toes, the needles are at my waist. I knitted up all the spliced-together bits yesterday, and when I finish the current [full] ball I will focus on the five partial balls remaining. It’s a little hard to judge just how much yarn I’ve used, but when I’ve reached that point I’ll have used seven of the ten original skeins. And I will adjust my progress on Ravelry, accordingly.

Have a great Saturday, everybody, and may all of your dropped stitches be intentional!

2 comments:

Tola said...

the whole quote is: "i havent felt the same since that house fell on my sister and that brat stole her shoes". my daughter's Nana is Wiccan, and she says that All The Time. cracks us all up, and its nice that she can keep things in perspective.

Rory said...

I left you a voicemail, text message, or both (Can't remember) but wanted to be sure. The socks arrived safely, and they are comfortable, breathe wonderfully, and exude love and comfort. Thank you so very very much.

They are a great fit, and the only thing I would do differently when I make my first pair, is make them a little wider at the top since I have enormous calves.

These do fit very well though, and putting them on did not stretch them out of shape, so I must applaud your craftsmanship. I love you Mom. Thanks very much.