About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Are we ready for some good news?

I forgot to share that on Monday afternoon I had my performance review with the office manager, to discuss goals for the coming year and to get the numbers for my merit raise and my bonus.

There is good news all around. I have been stuck on fewer committees this year. Most of the activities which she picked for me are designed to help me progress toward becoming a legal secretary. The two attorneys for whom I transcribe dictation are pleased with my work. The merit increase percentage this year will be 3% instead of what I got last year, but it’s 3% on a larger base than last year’s, and in my book that’s still a very good thing. And my bonus, also a lower percentage than last year’s but on the same larger base, is big enough to show that they mean what they say when they say that they value me.

I am mindful that not everybody I know, out in the world, will be getting a raise or a bonus. Some of them are getting their hours cut; some of them hate their jobs and are not in a position to quit or to look for something better. I am very, very lucky and very, very blessed.

I had hash browns [not burnt, woohoo!] and an omelette for breakfast yesterday morning. Then I headed straight for the couch with my flannel nightgown and my knitting and a bag to hold dead tissues. And I have a pair of finished socks.



And another pair a little over halfway done. These would be Bestfriend’s socks.



And a third pair on the needles. Behold my April Sockdown! oeuvre, the Anatomically Correct Toe-up Socks.



What did I watch?
1. In Her Shoes. Hand over “Simon Stein”, and nobody gets hurt. Food, poetry, and reggae at the wedding reception.
2. Kindergarten Cop. Because sometimes you just want to punch or shoot the bad guys.
3. Last Holiday. Queen Latifah, Gerard Depardieu, and more food.
4. Music and Lyrics. Because I adore Drew Barrymore, and in this one Hugh Grant doesn’t make me twitch as much as he usually does.
5. Breakfast at Tiffany’s. [Love that guitar.]

And then I put my dishes in the sink and staggered off to bed.

Next up on the needles? Swatching BittyBit’s sweater.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

"It's not a tumor!"

Tan said...

I love "In her shoes" I thought it was going to be a horrible movie, but I was stuck on a plane and watched it anyway. Of course I was happily surprised. Todd and Joanne had that poem she reads in the movie on their wedding invitation.