About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

I turned off the fireplace on Saturday.

So naturally we are getting a severe weather alert and/or Blue Norther tonight.

But there is good news. Yesterday, before filling the tub so I could take my now healthy self back to work, I cleaned out my email inbox. When I left for work, there were 70 emails in my box, mostly little reminders that I’ve sent home from work: blog this, link that, remember to do something else.

Yes, of course I talk to myself. Don’t you?

I meant to connect the new DVD/VCR player on Sunday afternoon, but in reading the directions I discovered that I need to use the remote for the TV during part of the set-up, and I have not the remotest [ducking, ducking] idea where that might be. I have the one for the defunct VCR, and the one for the works-just-fine DVD player, but if I want to adjust the volume I have to get up off the couch and do it myself. Which I wouldn’t have said was a bad thing.

Please don’t tell me that I have to spend part of my bonus on a new TV, just to get the new equipment to work. It’s a plot, I tell you, a plot to make me buy an HDTV. And I don’t wanna.

Lovely visit with LadyZen on the ride into work this morning. And another good one with her and Trainman on the ride home. All three of us had putter-y weekends. Nothing major accomplished, but many small satisfactions. He commented that a house he has loved for years, which has been used by an attorney in Fort Worth, is now on the market. I followed him over there after work and took some pictures.



He’s guessing its on the market for half a mil. It has its very own historical marker.



He pointed out the stained glass above the back door.



The man has exquisite taste, no doubt about that. The next picture isn’t much in terms of composition, but just look at that glorious light!



The large awning on the second floor, shelters what is probably an office or bedroom. He counted five AC units alongside the house. I told him, “You realize that I could live for a year on what they pay to keep it cool.”

“Yeah, but if I ever win the lottery...”

Whoa, Nellie. I just googled it. $1.5M. [This is a side view.] Wouldn’t you love to have a quilt shop in this location? Yarn store? Studio space?

3 comments:

Rory said...

Just buy a universal remote. You can get them for like $10, and they are compatible with most TVs, even the older ones.

Sherry said...

Wow! what a gorgeous place. But it's discouraging to realize that if I put in all my money, and you put in all your money, and all our near and dear put in all their money, we still couldn't afford it. Oh well, we'll just have to admire from afar.....

Jenni said...

You could also go online to the manufacturer and probably order a new remote. That's what I had to do once when we still used a VCR and lost a remote for it.