About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Plan Zed

So, Monday night as I sat on the couch and knitted, I started to sniffle. Yesterday when I woke up, the sniffles were still with me. On the train I began to feel like Pharaoh’s army chasing the children of Israel, right after Moses put that staff down, and me with no tissues. I think half the people in my car were likewise sniffling, discreetly or otherwise. I ran through the box on my desk at work in five minutes or less and spent the day smuggling handfuls of TP out of the loo, or swabbing my beak with kim-wipes.

And coughing. And hacking. And hearing my voice drop from mezzo to alto to the last act of Camille.

I called Middlest late in the afternoon and told her I would not be going to Knit Night, and to see if one of our friends could pick her up. I’m not sure which of us was more disappointed. I came home and nuked some tortillas and spread them with hummus, because it was something I could taste. Then I took my $3 off of a $15 purchase coupon over to CVS and bought two ginormous boxes of Puffs, and girl stuff, and a gallon of milk, and a pint of Blue Bell Mint Chocolate Chip.

I’ll tell you how bad I feel: my visiting teacher left me two huge Lindt chocolate bars in my mailbox, with a cheerful note, and I look at that chocolate and think “meh”.

So now it is Wednesday, and I am still coughing and still hacking, but my head is a little clearer on one side. I have a fresh box of tissues to keep in the car, and another to take to work. And I ate that ice cream last night and could intermittently taste it.

I did manage to finish the heel flap on the second sock while on the ride home last night, and today I might be bright enough to work on the cuff. There isn’t much yarn left. I am hoping to eke out 3” cuffs so they will qualify as finishers for March Sockdown!, but it doesn’t look promising. These might end up the world’s most elegant ankle socks. I love the pattern, love the yarn, love how nicely they play together. I just wish it were going to be a sit-down candlelight dinner, not the value menu at my local drive-through.

I have figured out what I want to do for April Sockdown! This month’s challenge is knee socks, or underappreciated patterns [15 projects or less]. I need to cast them on fast, while the pattern is still underappreciated. Needless to say, no further information until that little detail is taken care of.

I wonder if I’m smart enough to dress myself this morning? Heading over to Ravelry and then into the tub. Habby Weddsday, ebrybuddy.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

That would explain why I didn't see you come in when my sister got dropped off last night. Hope you feel better.

Lynn said...

Actually, I called in sick and will spend the day on the couch, quaffing chicken stock and watching movies. [I made it clear in my message that it was *not* an April Fools joke and that if there were an emergency I would drag my sorry self into work.]

Tan said...

hotcocoawarmblanketfuzzybunnyslippersgoodbookwarmg'nitehopeyoufeelbettersoon

Rory said...

I hope you feel better! *hugs*