About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

How many General Authorities does it take...

We had a special stake meeting this morning. Individual wards were assigned to attend specific meetinghouses. We knew there would be two of the church leadership here to do something, but nobody, including our bishop, knew exactly what, only that it would affect three stakes. Our best guess (Beloved’s and mine) was that stake boundaries would be changing.

And how! Salt Lake sent two General Authorities, who removed five units from our stake and one each from two other stakes, and created a new stake with seven units. We lost approximately 36% of our stake membership. Another way to look at it is that the new stake gained approximately 70% of its membership from our stake, with the other 30% coming from the other two stakes. And it explains why friends in the other stakes affected did not know anything about it, as only the two wards that would be shifting, were requested to attend. We still have ten units in our stake, which had 15 units and something like 5500 members of record.

This will reduce driving distances for members in what had been outlying wards, and it will give more people opportunities for leadership.

We are home, have eaten sandwiches and a couple of Fig Newtons, and are about to unload the cabinet with a bajillion rubber stamps out of Lorelai's back seat. I need to get the stamps sorted by topic and arranged in ways that make sense to me, and then the cabinet turned against the wall before M. the Marauder comes to spend the night so he can go fishing with his grandpa and his aunt C. tomorrow morning. This will be the first grandchild to spend the night since Beloved and I were married.

TV’s on. One of the food channels. I asked Beloved this morning if we got HGTV. He says yes. Equal time, anybody? He reminded me that some of those shows involve the outdoors, hence the G. I told him that I was only interested in the H, thank you very much. Lucy vindicated me this morning.

I got a lot of knitting done while at the stake center, as Beloved had been asked to help usher. So we left the house at 8:34 (let the record show that *I* was ready to leave at 8:29)

The piano recital was lovely yesterday. On the way home we picked up the rubber stamps, and I ran Beloved past several places I lived, including Mardi Gras 24/7 and La Casa Cucaracha, both of which appear to have had facelifts since we moved out. Nobody has moved into the duplex as near as I can tell.

This is the part where I am either heading out to the living room to watch Iron Man 2, or staying in here and taking a nap. Could go either way...

No comments: