About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Sunday, September 20, 2015

More overtime.

Last week I worked 9:00 hours past my usual time. Because I work a 38:45 hour workweek, only 7:45 of it was overtime. Yesterday, the start of the second week of this pay period, I worked another five hours, and I have no idea if or how much overtime there will be over the course of the next few nights. We have a special project that is time-sensitive, and the first aspect of it (over which I was in charge) ended when we went home yesterday. I may or may not be in charge of the next phase. There are things that need doing around the house, which I can only do after work, and some of them are becoming urgent.

I do know what I'm going to do with the overtime. It is earmarked for my bicycle.

Notwithstanding my general absence from the homestead, a few things have gotten done. I bought another white fake pumpkin to amp up the fall decor. And a package of brown and cream buttons to rescue my brown T-shirt, which had two spots that did not come out in the wash. In the wee hours of this morning, I sewed them all on and posted the result to Facebook. (Because if it's not on FB, it didn't happen, right?)

I mostly-cooked dinner for the elders and did a drive-by fooding yesterday. And then I came home for a nap that went somewhat longer than expected. I awoke at 12:30 this morning. So, no grocery shopping and no jog through the pool at the gym. Went back to sleep at 4:30 with the alarm set for 7:30 and barely made it to church on time.

The raspberries which I bought at Central Market yesterday were moldy when I opened them this morning. So I will take them back after work tomorrow and make a desperately needed Costco run. I am about out of a whole bunch of things.

I got a nice nap after church. I did not set my alarm, and I kinda hoped that I would not wake in time for choir practice, because I just wasn't feeling it. But I did, and I went, and as usual I was blessed. I am turning into the class clown of choir (OK, one of several). My children will not be entirely surprised, because I'm known in the family for my wacky sense of humor. But I was always the pleaser when I was in school. The idea of acting out, even a little, to get a laugh was light years beyond me at that time. I was firmly in please don't look at me, don't call on me, don't call attention to me mode for twelve solid years.

It wasn't until I was in college for the third and possibly final time, when I was getting my associates' degree in interpreting for the deaf, that I discovered a love of performance.

OK, I think I'm done for now. I have an intermittently interesting home organization book to plow through. I did get one good take-away before choir practice: keep a first aid kit in my toolbox. Most of the rest of what I've read so far is mildly interesting and not particularly useful. I'm making myself finish this book before tackling the Katie Couric book of quotations from sundry famous people, and the book of Folkwear designs. I've bought and made various items from the pattern line over the past 30 years. My favorite was the Afghani Nomad Dress. And I did a couple of smocks for the girls but burned out before I got one made for all of them. (I figure the Katie Couric book will be entertaining, given the range of people she got quotes from, and my belief that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.)

No comments: