About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Good Morning, Sunshine!

This what I saw last Tuesday morning as I headed out of the parking lot.

It doesn’t really capture the brilliant silver edges of the clouds in the pewter sky. [They were most emphatically not indigo.] But it’s still pretty! So pretty that I drove down the street and back into our complex so I could photograph it.

Yesterday was wonderful and relaxing and not quite as planned. I got the laundry done, delivered to the duplex, and hung up in the closet; Fourthborn was with me at that point, and I filled hangers, while she arrayed them in the closet by color. Lots of red and bright pink. Lots of black. And the occasional foray into the not-red and the not-black.

I know where my “dontcha” shirt is, for late this afternoon. I will miss the official WWKIP Day celebration at the park in front of my new LYS, but there is another KIP on the lawn of the Kimbell Museum that runs till 6:00. I hope to catch at least part of that.

My nails are shorter, and pretty again, so the chances of losing one or more during the move are now minimal. Yay for the Nail Dude!

I got a short and much-interrupted nap late yesterday afternoon, so I did not fall asleep with my nose in my twice-baked potato at dinner with Brother Sushi last night. We had salads and split an order of crab cakes, followed by excellent French onion soup, at which point our steaks arrived. The potatoes were wildly over-salted; I took about three bites and set mine aside. And my steak was perfection. I only had room for about a dozen tiny bites [so as not to bring on an episode of dysphagia] and brought the rest of it home.

The Fixit Dudes were just about done when Fourthborn and I went over there in the early afternoon. The new flooring is in [not their job], except for a bit of trim that didn’t come in until 5:00 last night and will go in this afternoon, around all my boxes. [The moldings at the doors where the laminate comes together between one room and another.] The laminate itself is lovely.

They were finishing up the tub surround. The bathroom mirror is gorgeous, as is the shower curtain rod, the light fixture above it, and the towel rods, robe hook, etc. My friend has exquisite taste and has chosen items that are Craftsman-compatible. Since the bathroom door was off so that they could move things in and out, I asked Fixit Dude’s assistant to hang the robe hook about shoulder high on him. So unless he shrunk three inches in height overnight, my robe will be high enough to be off the floor and not so high that my shoulders strain to reach it.

I forgot to take any pictures of the inside of the duplex yesterday. Mostly they would have been pictures of Dude shoulders and construction mess, so maybe it’s all for the best.

I go pick up the truck in an hour and four minutes, and I really, really need a bath because I smell like laundromat and packing and all the onions and garlic in last night’s dinner, and oh! do I want to wash my hair! And I took my favorite towel over to the duplex yesterday afternoon, so I might be drying off with a bunch of kitchen hand towels.

I also need to print off this month’s visiting teaching lesson for our one remaining sister and put it in the mail to her, because we won’t be in church tomorrow, at least not *here*.

I’ve post-dated tomorrow’s post, which is so brief as to be in the spirit of Hemingway.

T-minus-one-hour, and counting. I'll try to check in from Secondborn’s after church tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

You sound so happy and for that I am very grateful.