About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Typing this from Secondborn’s Computer

Mine is still in pieces at the old place. I’m getting used to the noises in my new home. The whirr of the window units, the whoosh of the ceiling fans, the boom of the fireworks [official, legal] down the road. I could sit in my front yard and watch fireworks every night through the 4th or 5th. [Concerts in the Park.] By the time it’s dark enough to see the fireworks, I just want to be horizontal and unconscious!

Church yesterday was wonderful. I had a nice visit with my new bishop. They have a couple of callings in mind for me [I’ll get one, or the other, but not both.] He said to expect another interview shortly. They have my membership records already. They also had LittleBit’s; Salt Lake sent them automatically because they thought that she moved with me. My old ward should have hers back by next weekend.

I did a little discreet mooshing-about of the furniture in my bedroom yesterday. And I took pictures. However, while I remember packing the cable for the camera, I don’t know which unlabeled box it’s in. And then there is the matter of the computer being in pieces in my old dining room. I also stopped at the Container Store this afternoon and picked up sock drawer dividers. I’ll take pictures of the “before” and the “after”; maybe you’ll get to see them sometime before Christmas.

The floor dude [cute, just like my friend said, and young enough that either of us could have given birth to him] has finished the mouldings on the floor. While I waited to let him in this morning, I got about half of the kitchen unpacked and put away. I think that gave me more endorphins than I got from chatting with the floor dude!

The new mini-blinds are very nice. Unfortunately, the ones in the kitchen were left half-open, and there were a good four or five feet of boxes between the adjusting wand and me, which meant that anybody could stand outside the window and get a clear view down the hall to my bedroom. So Saturday night I put up an impromptu wall of boxes, to preserve my privacy and modesty. Today I got the kitchen boxes moved, and tonight I'll close the blinds and take down the temporary wall so that I can navigate more easily from my room to the kitchen when I wake up thirsty at 3:00am.

Because we all know that I will.

I am binding off the Flared Lace Smoke Ring. Pictures will have to wait, but trust me, it’s beeyootiful!

I need to check my email and my checking account balance, and borrow a stepstool so I can wipe down the cabinets and put up the food. [Do not tell LittleBit that I am up on a stepstool. Hear?]

And then I will run to the store for more milk. Later, gators!


Tinker Belle said...

So. How were your first few days as an official Empty Nester?


Jenni said...

If it is that big of a deal I will buy you one of those kid friendly step stools so that you can reach the sink and wash your hands!

Bonnie said...

I am going through Ravelled Sleave withdrawal! Your blog is the first I check every morning and now I am having to find other productive things to do instead of blog hopping all morning. :P