About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Oye to the Veh.

Had a blast at the conference this weekend. There is still the fireside tonight at 7:00, but I am abstaining. I intend to be horizontal and unconscious at that point.

Yesterday I woke up about 7:30 or 8:00 and dashed over to the pool for a quick sploosh to work the kinks out. I really tore it up on the dance floor Friday night, so I could barely move. Nothing actually hurt, but various bits were not on speaking terms with one another.

This being the Sabbath, I do not have that option (because going to the gym today means that the people who work there do not get a Sabbath) so will have to settle for a long, hot shower.

I got stuck in traffic on the way over, yesterday, and missed the first part of the keynote speech (Danny White). What a lovely, warm, humble man. I enjoyed all the speakers in the workshops I chose. (More than some of my friends did.) I even deigned to grace the speed-dating activity with my presence, where I was surprised to realize that I knew a guy who showed up in the room midway through the activity.

Girls, do you remember Elyssa(sp?) and Gabriel from Irving? Their dad. Just as quiet and kind as I remembered.

A lot of thought went into the conference. Dinner last night was pecan-smoked brisket, but they had also prepared some chicken for those with nut allergies. And they had people serving out the portions to make sure that everybody got fed. [Because there are always a handful of people who see a buffet and think I am never going to eat again in my life, so better stock up now, leaving 20 people at the end of the line with a quarter-cup of potato salad and five beans.]

Glad I went. Glad I do not have to do this again for another six months or so, and hoping the next one will be a little closer to home.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I'm not sure if I remember the people you are referring to. Were they kids? Did their dad take us to that polar bear ice cream parlor once?