About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Oye to the Veh.

Had a blast at the conference this weekend. There is still the fireside tonight at 7:00, but I am abstaining. I intend to be horizontal and unconscious at that point.

Yesterday I woke up about 7:30 or 8:00 and dashed over to the pool for a quick sploosh to work the kinks out. I really tore it up on the dance floor Friday night, so I could barely move. Nothing actually hurt, but various bits were not on speaking terms with one another.

This being the Sabbath, I do not have that option (because going to the gym today means that the people who work there do not get a Sabbath) so will have to settle for a long, hot shower.

I got stuck in traffic on the way over, yesterday, and missed the first part of the keynote speech (Danny White). What a lovely, warm, humble man. I enjoyed all the speakers in the workshops I chose. (More than some of my friends did.) I even deigned to grace the speed-dating activity with my presence, where I was surprised to realize that I knew a guy who showed up in the room midway through the activity.

Girls, do you remember Elyssa(sp?) and Gabriel from Irving? Their dad. Just as quiet and kind as I remembered.

A lot of thought went into the conference. Dinner last night was pecan-smoked brisket, but they had also prepared some chicken for those with nut allergies. And they had people serving out the portions to make sure that everybody got fed. [Because there are always a handful of people who see a buffet and think I am never going to eat again in my life, so better stock up now, leaving 20 people at the end of the line with a quarter-cup of potato salad and five beans.]

Glad I went. Glad I do not have to do this again for another six months or so, and hoping the next one will be a little closer to home.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I'm not sure if I remember the people you are referring to. Were they kids? Did their dad take us to that polar bear ice cream parlor once?