About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Two pictures hung, four lightbulbs replaced

All of the recycling out to its bin, and a bag and a half of trash, likewise. Not to mention a bathroom floor that you could [almost] eat off of.

Praise be for men with power tools! I still have no idea where to hang the cabinet, and I was unable to match the shelf peg thingies, so instead of buying four, I had to buy sixteen. We used my drop-leaf table as a workbench, laying the shelves under the cabinet wrong-side up, so that if the drill bit went awry it would strike the underside of a shelf, and not the table.

The sawdust is all wiped up. My tools are back in my toolbox (in which I found a pair of AWOL ladybug earrings).

We got quite a bit of rain yesterday. I got all of my grocery shopping done before it started, but I had to dash out between showers to get the shelf peg thingies at the hardware store.

Dinner at Secondborn’s was everything I could have wished. She is turning into quite the cook, the Bitties were charming and/or entertaining, and conversation flowed [punctuated with bouts of he touched me! or she’s breathing my air!

We stayed for family scripture study and prayer. BittyBit (not quite 6) is reading: out of that tiny mouth came explained, but more than the fact that she can recognize or sound out the words, is the fact that she is beginning to read with expression. And BittyBubba (barely 3) is sounding out short words, some of which he now knows on sight.

I think I’ve mentioned that last weekend I learned of the existence of a fourth petri dish, probably the most elegant of the four of us. I know her slightly; she is good friends with GreyhoundWoman (NintendoMan’s former spouse). The new guy and I were discussing the petri situation in general on the drive back to my place, and he is preparing to thin the herd. Too much of a gentleman to say who has been voted off the island, but I am wondering if it is the same one who told me the other night that she thinks he and I make a cute couple, or one of the others.

At this point we seem to be in agreement that I should meet the other daughter-in-law [and presumably her spouse and kids], and he should meet the rest of my tribe. Which may not happen until after tithing settlement [he is his ward’s financial clerk] and finals for Firstborn’s lot. And I would love to have a get-together with him, Fourthborn and FiancĂ©, and his kids FullMetalSquishy and MelMelChan. With or without dolls. So which of my local kids gets to meet him next, is still very much up in the air. LittleBit will be the toughest nut to crack. She is going through a rough patch, and in her world, I am understudy to the AntiChrist. [This, too, shall pass.]

Heading back to bed for a nap. I worked very hard yesterday, at a sane and sustainable pace, up and down the stepstool, wielding disinfecting wipes and Swiffer and hammer, et al. My body is tired. My heart is peaceful. And my eyes are growing heavy...

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm glad you both enjoyed yourselves. I think it's interesting that you thought the kids were charming, I mostly found them obmoxious, maybe it's just me.

Jenni said...

I graciously agree to be the last (or next to last) as it is likely to be easier to get the doll group together before hubby and I are done with finals.
I thinks those kids are cute and charming about 85% of the time and only obnoxious the other 15%.