About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Really good day, so far.

I’ve been to three grocery stores, brought everything home, divvied it up and put it away, and now I’m ready for a nice aromatherapy bath and a nap of some sort.

My poor phone is so confused. I shut down my Yahoo! account. My phone is still trying to sync with it. I keep getting help?! messages asking me to log in or confirm my password. I’ll have to go to the Palm site and take care of things from there.

I just ate the last of last Saturday’s cherries. I am eating the leftover salmon from dinner, while contemplating the leftover broccoli with love and suspicion. On the stove, a pot is beginning to simmer, so that I can cook up the last of the whole-grain rotini and stir in the last of the bottled pesto. It will get put away for future lunches and dinners, but because we’re having some rain, cooking seems like an adventure rather than drudgery. Today is a day for grazing, and gratitude. I briefly thought about polishing off last night’s dessert, but I’m saving that for after church tomorrow, so I am having canteloupe instead.

The massage last night was pretty amazing. My right foot, ankle, leg, and hip are (I think) nearly well. We mostly worked on the left side last night. My contribution to the work, was to just lie there and not try to help. She also worked some on my neck, traps, and both arms, particularly around the elbows.

At the moment, there is no perceptible swelling in my right leg, all the way down to my toes, and the skin is resilient, rather than hard, like a carapace. My arms and my traps are still squishy. And I can feel the tension building in my left calf, so as soon as the pasta is dealt with, I am going to lie down, wrap that ankle and foot gently to encourage the lymph to just keep moving along, buddy, and snooze a little.

I bought some of the Greek yogurt that the new guy and his eldest recommended. Maybe I will have some of that when I wake up. And I bought a little plastic lemon so I can take juice to work to squirt into every third bottle of water, or so. I keep one here in the fridge at home, and the first water in the morning gets a shot of lemon (if I remember).

The new guy’s cancer cell count soared after two rounds of chemo; they tell him that this frequently happens. What I think, is that the cancer cells are running around like bugs in a Raid commercial, looking for the exit. His liver function is normal, and the twinkle is back in his eye.

He asked his oncologist all the questions I gave him to ask, and got answers that made me grin. Came back with a couple of questions of his own.

Eldest son’s bride is posting pictures from the reception. There is one of the four of us standing together, garter on the new guy’s sleeve, and bouquet held triumphantly in my hand. I am grinning like the Cheshire Cat. His comment: “...not sure where this is going.” My response: “We could discuss it...” And there is one of me catching the bouquet. I am going to print both and frame them and put them on my desk at work.

Pasta is cooked, sauced, portioned, and in the fridge. I seem to have inhaled roughly half a pound of canteloupe. Naptime!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I love Greek yogurt. If you want it a little sweeter, you can add a dash of agave nectar or honey.