About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Good news, mostly.

There is one box left in my studio, and I know what’s in it. It is tucked into the northeast corner, with my 72 hour kit on top of it, and the rolling chair I inherited from Beloved’s eldest when they moved, is rolled out of the way. Tonight we will set up my work table, and I will fire up my sewing machine.

First item on the list is the pair of slacks which need mending, which belong to one of the missionaries. Second item is the pocket in a pair of slacks or shorts belonging to Beloved. And then I am going to tackle several items of my own which have been languishing in the mending pile/box for quite some time.

After which there will most likely be a victory lap around the inside of a bag of Oreos.

I was so sleepy last night that I went to bed shortly before 9:00, expecting to wake between 1:00 and 2:00 this morning, at which time I planned to get up and putter for an hour and then come back to bed. I awoke at 12:30 and said to myself, “Oh, no you don’t,” and rolled over. Miraculously, I think I stayed asleep until 4:00. So, pretty close to seven hours of sleep, and I feel subhuman again.

Which is a good thing, because we have our monthly support staff meeting this morning, and I need to stay awake. I have a bottle of Cherry Coke at work to aid in this task. Oh, how I wish the office manager would let me knit in meetings. It would solve the problem permanently. (Although, when I was single, I did occasionally fall asleep on the couch with my iPod plugged into my head and my knitting in hand, but those were the days of the hour commute between Beloved’s home and my own. I miss those days not at all.)

I am ready to bind off the toe on the second baby sock in this colorway. And I need to figure out the next, portable project.

We have a small, colorful stack of seed catalogues on Beloved’s desk, just to the left of my left hand as I type. One of the pictures features a forsythia hedge. I did not know you could grow them as a hedge! We had one or two forythia bushes at the last house my parents owned, the one where I lived from 8th grade until I married FirstHubby. I think having a forsythia hedge would be like having a closet full of cashmere. I wonder how hardy they are in this part of Texas?

The cat is very happy with me. I stopped at the pet store last night and bought him three small catnip mice. He batted that thing all around the living room, into the kitchen, and under the bookcase which is behind our breakfast table, then meowed pitifully until I fished it out after dinner. The cat will be less happy with me when I spritz our good chairs with bitter apple in an effort to keep him off them. I may also resort to wrapping the cushions with old sheets and putting strips of packing tape down. In theory, cats don’t like walking or sitting on that slick tape. I have no idea if our cat subscribes to that theory, but in the next few days I intend to find out.

Beloved has his third CT scan this morning. We hope that when we get the results next week, they will show continued improvement in his cancer count and in the number of danger spots peppering his innards.

We have little peat pots of one thing and another, stacked all over the breakfast area. The bachelor buttons (love those!) have sprouted already. He has ordered two more pomegranate trees and will get the one we bought a week or so ago, planted forthwith. I think he said he got four rows planted in the garden yesterday. I am not a gardener (this is likely to be changing in the next few weeks); right now my focus is on setting our house in order. When the studio is organized and the office is set up and we have found new homes for the things we no longer need, then I will feel free to turn my attention to the yard.

Right now I’d rather pay attention to the gardener.

This is the part where I figure out what I will be knitting today. Later, gators!

No comments: