About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

“Penguins!!!”

So, we put the new paisley sheets on the bed last night. Beloved is right: it is a very busy pattern, and I like it. Spring is warming up, here in North Texas, so we only put my quilt (which has been washed so many times in the last 20 years that it is more like a thick sheet, because the polyester batting is all flattened out; when I made it, I could not afford the high-quality cotton batting I have come to love). The quilt is a Trip Around the World, in various shades of pink, rose, terracotta, etc. Some of the squares are the penguin fabric which I bought when Firstborn was a little girl, and with which I backed most of the quilts I made for the girls when they were short people. Firstborn was mad for penguins; I think that has not changed.

Beloved very kindly washed the quilt for me last week and put it in one of the chairs in the living room until we had time to take the flannel sheets off the bed. (Storage space is at a premium around here.) We had made up the bed and were kneeling for family prayer, and I was just getting a good amble going when suddenly Beloved exclaimed, “Penguins!!!” They are a lot more noticeable when your head is bowed and your nose is a few inches above the bed. I guess we now know who does not necessarily close his eyes when praying, huh?

Needless to say, my semi-reverent amble erupted into giggles, and then a breathless apology as I took up more or less where I had left off.

Life with this man is certainly not boring!

I woke up well before the chickens and spent a little more time puttering in my studio. The sewing machine is moved in. All (or most) of the knitting magazines are rehoused in their magazine files and lined up on top of one of the bookcases. I have emptied two short Rubbermaid storage tubs, and I know which two I’m going through next.

Church today. Can’t wait! I am really enjoying my new ward family. And I am already looking forward to a nap this afternoon. Costco and Bass Pro, with their immense concrete floors, really do a number on my feet and lower legs. The Arby’s roast beef sandwich I ate after we hit Bass Pro, didn’t help either. I tend to forget how high those are in sodium until I wake the next day with a slightly aching back and seriously unhappy ankles.

Off now to clean up for church. Beloved is heading out to the kitchen to make peach pancakes. Life is good.

No comments: