About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, March 02, 2012

Yeah, I’ve missed you, too!

It’s been a busy week. Good. And busy. Empty boxes are steadily flowing out of my studio. Order is creeping in on little cat feet. [The cat wishes that Order would stay the heck off his feet, but you can’t please everyone.]

My desk at work looks almost as spiffy as it did pre-conversion. My emails are at a manageable level. I am reasonably caught up with the daily mail and its related tasks. If I have another week like this, work life will be pritnear (as they used to say) perfect.

Home, of course, already is. I’ll wait for you to stop gagging. But yes, I really am that happy, and he seems to be, as well. He posts cute little mushy things on FB. We eat well, even on the days when I am the cook. I no longer startle awake when he rolls over, or coughs, or gets up in the night. I am able to slip out of bed without disturbing him, on those rare occasions when the Insomnia Fairy smacks me upside the head with her grubby little wand.

He had chemo yesterday, and as of last night he said the side effects were truly minimal: he was just tired. But thankfully not sick-and-tired. Right now he is out in the garden, whacking vegetation and pulling up stakes (I helped, a little). The boys were supposed to be here, helping, but are not. (One of them has to work tonight.)

I had a possibly brilliant idea on the drive to work this morning. There is a closet on the south end of our dining room (which I think was originally supposed to be a fourth bedroom?) with bi-fold doors, one panel of which has definitely seen better days. I propose loading all my dishes, linens, etc., into that closet for now, and eventually taking those doors off, and the track along the top, and building in cabinets to create a hutch that uses no additional living space. Drawers for silverware and serving utensils. Cubbies for the cake stands (we have three between us, so far, and I have my eye on a bunny one in the PB catalogue). Cabinets in which to hang the tablecloths. Thingies from which to suspend my gorgeous stemware. And the back wall painted Chinese red, with one of our mirrors hung on it. There is a builder’s surplus warehouse not far from here in Mesquite, and the Habitat resale shop, both of which would give us nicer options than we are likely to find at Home Depot, et al, at least in our financial comfort zone. I will be doing a little surfing after dinner, to figure out how much to budget and what options are available.

Our very own virgin wet-bar. Makes me grin.

The boy is making dinner. Something foodie is on the TV. Time for me to grab my knitting and either go help out in the kitchen, or knit and try to learn something.

Hoping for a nice, quiet weekend. Last weekend was wonderful, and busy. I’m ready for wonderful and flying under the radar. He gets the chemo pump off tomorrow, and we will preface that with the second phase of updating my personal bank account.

No comments: