About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, March 30, 2012

New Shoes

Behold, it is spring, when a woman’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of ~~~

Shoes????? Moi?

I hopped over to the clog outlet to look at the full-price pair I’m saving up to buy. ($35 each payday for three more paydays, which wrecketh not the budget and provideth for shipping and handling as well.)

They had a BOGO special (buy one, get one free, for you non-shoppers). The shoes were attractive, in basic colors, so I have a beige pair and a black pair coming. I did call Beloved to ask if he minded. He said, “Sure, if you need them.”

Define need.

Once upon a closet, I had seven pairs of clogs in various colors, and they lasted for five or six years, cumulatively. I would still have one or two of those pairs had I not had that two-year battle with athlete’s foot, during which my shoes got internally basted with Nystatin ointment, hence discolored, misshapen, etc.

Positing healthy feet, if I have several pairs of shoes, I will wear them in rotation, and each pair will last significantly longer than the two pairs I bought last year at the outlet, one of which is at the ShoeDude’s getting new heels; I’ll drop off the second pair when I pick them up before General Conference tomorrow morning. Both had reached the point where, if I didn’t get them to a shoe repair shop STAT, they would not have been fixable.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the ShoeDude did to replace the heel. These are seriously comfy shoes; I want to keep them around for a long, long time.

The new shoes have a bit of a heel on them (they’re about three-fourths of an inch to an inch taller than the basic clogs I wear), and they just looked like spring to me.

The cowl I will be donating to the service auction at church tonight, is done. At least the knitting part. I still have a handful of ends to weave in, but it’s bound off, and it looks pretty amazing. I am taking the pattern, needles, and yarn for the next project, which will be Maylin Tan’s Wingspan (wendyknits recently completed it, and hers is stunning). This will use the problematic green PacaPeds yarn that was going to be a SusannaIC shawlette, but the yarn was too busy. I don’t think that will be a problem with basic garter stitch and this pattern. And I’ve already compared the yarn (verging on poison-y greens) with the new green top I wore yesterday, and it will work, at least under incandescent light. It might be ghastly in daylight, but I’ll burn that bridge when I come to it, as they say.

I’ve given Beloved strict orders not to leap up and fix me breakfast. Chemo was something of a marathon yesterday, and then he came home and baked two cheesecakes for the service auction (after taking a well-earned nap).

I was so tired by the time I got to the temple last night that I misread my schedule and thought the B for break was B for baptistry, where I have yet to serve. And then, when my session was over, I couldn’t find the key to my locker. I thought it fell out of my pocket. When the ordinance room was empty of patrons, I went back in, and half a dozen of us combed the room looking for that key.

It was still in the lock, in the sister ordinance workers’ dressing room.

Hoping for a light day at work, but something to do all day. Very much looking forward to the spaghetti dinner tonight, generous bids on our donations (otherwise we’ll keep them and just write a check for their value), a good night’s sleep, and General Conference tomorrow.

This day is brought to you by the letter C, for Cherry Coke...

No comments: