About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Monday, November 05, 2007

Oh *darn*!

Or should I say, Oh *embroidery*? Celtic Icon is finished. I stitched up the second half of the remaining seam on the hood and wove in the ends and used the leftover yarn to chain-stitch embroider the mutilated stitches into place. I think we are good to go.



She’s wearing it to school today. I checked, and it will be 84°F this afternoon. She is *so* my kid. I couldn’t wait for it to be fall so I could start wearing my new woolen skirts.

Of course, that was Idaho, and this is Texas.

What’s next on the needles, besides Sabbath Scarf II? I foresee much swatching today; I think it’s time to go stash-diving for some 20-year-old yarn that I cut into five-yard lengths to warp my loom before we moved to Fredericksburg in 1991. I loved to weave fabrics with five yarns in the warp and three or more yarns in the weft. Like this:



Only this time we’re talking teal. I was going to make one of those cropped jackets that was popular back then. [Proof that nothing changes much in fashion; it all just gets recycled and regurgitated, and our kids say “I would never wear that”, and we say, “I give you six months.” Here’s the raw material:



Much darker in real life. Must go find needles. Another serendipitous find? about two yards of vintage skirt-weight wool in a Glen-ish houndstooth plaid. Dark teal, cream, and some dark neutral that might be charcoal, brown, navy, or black. I think this is fabric that my sister gave me many, many years ago.

Not sure if I want to separate all these warp ends and tackle my first entrelac project, or regroup them and knit something Chanel-inspired.

No comments: