About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Stuff I Have Learned This Week

1. You can do a pretty fair spit-splice with KnitPicks Gloss. I did it at Knit Night on Tuesday. Yes, I’ve used up the three-fourths of a hank remaining of the “Cocoa” that I used on Brother Sushi’s tie! [Only another knitter would find that even marginally worthy of an exclamation point.] And I am galloping away on the second ball. Getting a glimmer of what I want to do with this when it is finished, but meanwhile it is just plain delicious to knit.

2. “Chuzzle” is a good incentive to unpack those pesky boxes in the kitchen. I emptied two boxes and rewarded myself with clearing three levels. Another box, another three levels. A fourth box, and I perished spectacularly on level 8. But I think it has been an evening well-spent, and it enabled me to stay awake for two hours while I waited for LittleBit’s call.

3. It didn’t take anywhere near as long as I thought it would, to switch out the buttons on my 70%-off jacket, the one I bought shortly before we moved, which has been languishing in my closet with half a dozen other mending jobs. I wore it to work yesterday and felt like a million dollars. Considering that I spent nearly as much for six buttons as I did for the jacket per se, that seems only fair and proper.

4. LittleBit and I have completed two hours of parent-taught drivers education, and we still like each other.

5. A saltine cracker with a nice dab of cream cheese on it and a dried apricot makes a cheap and easy snack. Half a dozen or so of them make a decent, if slightly weird, breakfast.

6. “The Holiday” is better in French than in English. For one thing, they lost the F-bomb, replacing it with The First French Cuss Word You Learned. For another, when Iris finally has had enough of Jasper’s arrogance and tells him off, it sounds ever so much feistier en français, all hisses and spitting and nasal vowels.

But the best thing about the movie is when Graham’s two young daughters drag Amanda back to their room to show Amanda their tent. That tent is pure Tinkerbelle meets Martha Stewart. I want a tent like that: lots of gauzy draperies, colors, quilts, textures, gypsy beads, tassels, fringe, stars, etc. Fairy lights. Got to have fairy lights. But first we need to find me a house to put the tent *in*.

7. I chatted briefly with Secondborn tonight. She gave me a little background on The Good Brother. He sounds like somebody I could be comfortable getting to know. And apparently he’s recently gotten involved with the church singles.

It will be interesting to see if 2BDH is able to bring about an introduction.

[Will spare you a photo of Sabbath Scarf II, which is about twice as long as when you saw it last.]

No comments: