About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Feeling Thankful, Getting Creative

It’s a beautiful Friday morning in my world. Ordinarily I would be watering the garden about now, so that I could leap in the car and head for the park and ride. But today I’m on vacation [again with the nanny nanny boo boo], and while I will head outside in a few minutes to water the tomatoes and basil, I will then come inside and knit until it’s time to leave for the laundromat.

I just opened the electric bill. Not good, but much better than the worst one I got at the apartment this time last year. So overall, I’m thankful. I will bump up the setting on the window units in my room and the studio. The thermostat fairies keep resetting them to 72°F [22°C]. I have the living room unit set to 78°F [26°C] and am perfectly comfortable with the ceiling fan going.

I really like the small dish drainer I bought a couple of weeks ago. It works so well with the built-in drainboard. I think that I might eventually want to get one of those gel kitchen mats to stand on while washing the dishes, but I’d like to stand on one first and see if it would be comfy or crazy-making for my feet.

The respiratory therapist will be by later this morning to check out my CPAP. I can’t believe I’ve been using it for a year now. She will make sure that it is working as well as I think it is. And then she will probably twist my arm to order a few replacement parts.

Today I will go pick up the rest of the paint and supplies for my bedroom walls. I think I might end up with enough leftover paint that I could repaint that brown seven-drawer chest. It’s just a cheapie that I was given by a friend who used to manage a storage unit. Someone had vacated and left it behind, possibly because the particleboard on the back is bashed in. It might be fun to paint the case with the same color I will use for the base coat on the three remaining walls, and then paint each drawer one of the coordinating colors. And maybe update the drawer pulls. I’ll measure the spacing between screw holes and see what I can find.

Daisy Cottage has painted a number of pieces of furniture, and I really like the effect. Her color choices remind me of the colors in my Mary Engelbreit “Snap Out of It!”poster.

I may also pick up paint chips for the living room. I am thinking maybe a warm caramel brown, more reddish than yellow.

And of course there will be knitting, every spare moment. I have completed the sixth repeat [out of fourteen] on chart 2 of Adamas. Still feeling the love. One more repeat and I will be roughly 25% done. So this will probably be a four-week project, and then on to the Sunrise Circle Jacket or the crop cardi from KnitSimple.

Home Depot and the laundromat both open in one hour. Decisions, decisions!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

You should pick Home Depot. It is always better than the laundromat. Although the laundromat will only get warmer as the day progresses so maybe you should knock that out of the way.

Rory said...

I hope your day off has gone as nicely as mine has. *big hugs*