About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Mother's Foodie!

TrainMan was on the going-home train last night. Another great discussion of food, restaurants, recipes. He politely inquired after my knitting. Then he pulled out a vintage paperback. The man reads Robert B. Parker! Has every one of his books, re-reads them constantly, and is gradually acquiring as many as he can in hard-cover. Has offered to loan me some of the newer ones that I don’t have.

I, in turn, have promised to loan him some of my Orson Scott Card collection, seeing that OSC is the reason I discovered RBP.

I got a little bored after dinner last night and ran to Home Depot just before it closed. Came home with a 22” fiberglass planter and two huge bags of allegedly organic garden soil. Woke up this morning with a case of buyer’s remorse larger than the planter. It is going back, to be exchanged for a couple of five-gallon buckets, some TSP [trisodium phosphate] to wash down the walls, and maybe a quart of the strawberry pink paint and a couple of extra drop cloths. I have brushes and plenty of painter’s tape.

I skipped the dance last night. The Good Brother sent me an email overnight, saying that it was only OK, music was only OK, but that a lot of our mutual friends were there.

Much knitting yesterday, 4.5” worth of progress all told. I’m a smidgen over 16” done of the 42” inches of straightaway before I can get back to lacy goodness.

Today is all about the gardening, and bargain shopping for food. Just had a nice smoothie to round out my breakfast. Thoughts are skittering about like water on a hot griddle. Time to jump in the tub and head out the door for some tomato starts and a bit of exercise.

Took some more pictures of stash yarn for Ravelry yesterday. This is the Claudia Handpainted Silk Lace that I bought myself for my birthday. The colors and values are fairly true.



This is the Snarky Designs Rosie the Riveter that I won in the November Sockdown contest. Again, colors fairly representational.



This is the Colinette Jitterbug in Leaf, which I think should have been named Olive. A little lighter than the real thing, but plausible. I gave away one skein of it at the Sisters of the Wool exchange last Christmas.



And the other skein of Colinette Jitterbug in Olive, which I think should have been named Leaf. The real thing is much darker and richer. Not to mention greener.



I’ll put these four into Flickr and then update my stash pages on Ravelry.

I want to have the gardening done before BestFriend comes over later this morning. Rumor has it that we may hit 107°F today. I want to be inside with my knitting long before that happens.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Lovely yarn, I think the Silk Lace is my favorite. Good for you for actually starting your gardening. I have been thinking about it for years, but haven't actually done anything about it. I think I'm waiting for more money to do the landscaping the way I would really like it.

Jenni said...

I keep a couple of landscaping plants alive and thought I would try that before I tried to grow a plant I would eat from. Practice makes perfect. I think I am ready to be invited over to see your new place. I need some one on one mom time.

Sherry said...

Lynn,
It was wonderful! marvelous! terrific! spending time with you today. I'm so glad I got myself up and out and over to your place with Annabel. By the way, I have started a blog and would love for you to read my thoughts--as I greatly enjoy sharing your life via the web. The address is http://sherrycherie.blogspot.com
Love you!