About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

[Impending] Mergers, and Acquisitions

Yesterday I did really well at Town Talk. A dozen one-liter aseptic boxes of soup. Whole-grain flatbread. Several kinds of cheese. More of the Aunt Jemima frozen French toast, which is far from gourmet but is cheap, fast, and easy. [Unlike me.] A bottle of mango lemonade. A big bag of English muffins, which I inspected carefully for mold.

I also did well at Home Depot. I bought a roller with extension handle and a disposable paint tray and one of those pour collars that fits a gallon can and has a little bar that you can scrape the brush against. I didn’t buy the paint for the other three walls in my room. Maybe next weekend, but more likely two weeks from now when I get the Really Good Paycheck.

I went back to the Container Store and bought two more canvas drawers to slip into my shoe organizer. And I think next payday I will buy another organizer and roll up the rest of my good T-shirts. We’ll see. That closet is small. I had the idea of getting lucite boxes in a rainbow of colors, for the middle sections of the over-the-door CD organizer that hangs on that door, and dropping my earrings, necklaces, etc., in there by color. I measured the available space [5”W x 6”D x 8”H] and found several boxes that would almost do but are not quite what I’m looking for. I’ll know it when I see it. And if all else fails, I can make felted bowls or fabric-covered boxes. I want something that is a nice treat for the eyes when I open that door.

Got a quick call from Secondborn yesterday, asking if I could come to church with them today and help her wrangle the Bitties during sacrament meeting. Hubby is off camping with the Scouts for the better part of a week. I am so glad that she asked! Saturday is my day to get things done, and while I was briefly in their vicinity yesterday, it was close enough to the time that I needed to leave for Arlington to get my nails done, that I didn’t stop by. [Or even call. Sigh.]

So today I get to go make myself useful and see three of the people I love and that, as they say, is a Good Thing. And then I’ll come home for a couple of hours and putter, and head off to my own ward for a three-hour block of meetings, plus getting set apart for my new calling. Tonight some dear friends are coming over for a simple meal and good conversation.

I have been working on the Chelsea Silk cardi. The small pink markers are for the garter-stitch vents, and the larger pink markers indicate the right side of the fabric. Just completed my first decrease row and have six more rows to work before I join the two halves of the back [forming the vent] and start galloping up to the underarms.



Though once I get the back joined together, I may pause and cast on both fronts and bring them to this point. I did something mildly tricky the first couple of rows on these back segments, and I’m not sure that I’ll remember to repeat it on the fronts, if I wait until the back is done. [Middle age is like that, even with minutely detailed notes on Ravelry.]

It was lovely and relatively cool yesterday. Rumor has it that we’ll have more of the same today. Can I get a “woohoo”? I’m off to run the tub and start getting ready for church.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm looking forward to seeing you today (and having an extra set of hands to assist with the kids. :) Thanks for helping me today.

Jenni said...

Sounds like things keep going well in the organizing realm of things.