About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Out, Out, D@mned Daylilies!

With apologies to Lady Macbeth and the Bard.

Ten dollars seems a very small price to pay, to learn that planting daylilies is not my idea of a Real Good Time. When I borrowed the spade on Monday night, I promised to bring it back on Wednesday. I did. I also plucked up the daylily that I had kinda-sorta planted in the front yard and took it and its moshy brothers over to Secondborn’s house.

They are both way younger than I am, and 2BDH has mad martial arts skills. If he cannot wrestle that mutinous flora into submission, then they are free to toss them into their compost pile. I am Done! With! Daylilies! I've never had a quick fling with the vegetable kingdom before. I feel triste and a little grubby.

I told Secondborn that I was going to celebrate the breakup with a pint of ice cream. But when I got to the store, I was seduced by the display of Pink Lady apples. So I bought exactly one of them and brought it home and dug out the Nutella.

Would Pink Lady apples grow here? Could I trick beg flatter persuade somebody to plant one for me? And if it prospered, then next year we could try planting a Nutella tree?

This is a big part of why Anne Perry is one of my favorite writers. I love how she thinks, and I love how she writes.

Behold, a nearly-finished first sock.



I am soldiering away on the second Anastasia. Chances are excellent that both will be done sometime this weekend, especially after tomorrow’s adventures. But that is another post for another day.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

You are so strange and that is why I love you, I think.

Kristen said...

I have always loved daylilies but have never grown any. I was considering planting some this year.
Now I'm reconsidering.

Anonymous said...

A nutella tree. Okay, THAT is FUNNY!

My folks had daylilies they planted and then left alone for 40 years, and they simply did their merry thing along the front of the house, no effort whatsoever. Different climate, probably?