About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Monday, September 15, 2008

Resurrected drafts and other stuff

Every so often I sift through the fragments I have saved as drafts to see if anything is still interesting and/or useful. I saved this link in May. Wonderful article about agency and faith and trust; I needed to read it then, and I needed to reread it now, after the family drama of the past week and a half.

I like learning new things. Really, I do. I don’t know why I waited so long to learn to knit socks. Maneuvering four or five DP’s was an interesting experience [not quite in the Chinese sense] that soon became natural. Ditto the Magic Loop technique, which is more practical for commuter knitting. It’s harder to drop an entire sock than to send a single DP somersaulting through the air and onto the floor of the train car. Ask me how I know.

And now I am tackling two socks on two circs, with the right sock being a mirror image of the left sock. At the moment I feel as I did on Day Two of GLM ski lessons, back when I was married to FirstHubby. I was OK on the bunny slope with 3-foot skis and no poles and maybe a 2% grade. And now you’ve given me skis that are 33% longer and poles and sent me higher up the mountain.

I wanted to get through one repeat of the pattern [which was rapidly coming back to me because I had worked 1.5 socks in Anastasia’s prior incarnation] before heading off to church. The bishop doesn’t mind my knitting at church; he would almost certainly have had a problem with childbirth words in the chapel. As would I.

Well, I didn’t make that goal before church, but I also didn’t swear. Not even under my breath. Not even when I discovered that I had knit the sole stitches with the instep needle, leaving the sole needle in a gleaming huddle on my lap and all four halves on the instep needle.

I am slowly getting the hang of this, but at the moment it still feels as if I am dealing with one ball of yarn too many, not to mention two more needle ends than I am used to when wielding a circ. Yes, still half as many as when I use DP’s, but those do not writhe and flail about when not in use like a toddler by the Hershey bars in the checkout line at dinnertime.

Are you ready for some inane fortunes? I was not. But here they are, courtesy of yesterday’s lunch. Too small for me to photograph clearly, so I recreated them in Word and saved them in Paint.



and



Who thinks these things up? Is there a room where burnouts from the 1960’s type nonsense into notebooks while another computer generates random lotto numbers for the reverse side?

No Brother Silver Fox at church yesterday, though I did elicit a chuckle out of Brother Marginally Grumpy when I went through logistics with the elders and told them I would do a drive-by fooding because the wife in the couple I had asked to bring the elders with them to dinner was under the weather today, and my home teacher [who doesn’t drive] was house-sitting for another family in the ward.

I ended up making a quiche, with garlic jack cheese, spinach, and cut up Little Smokies. They got fed, I get blessed, and the proprieties have been preserved. Woohoo!s all around.

No comments: