About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Resurrected drafts and other stuff

Every so often I sift through the fragments I have saved as drafts to see if anything is still interesting and/or useful. I saved this link in May. Wonderful article about agency and faith and trust; I needed to read it then, and I needed to reread it now, after the family drama of the past week and a half.

I like learning new things. Really, I do. I don’t know why I waited so long to learn to knit socks. Maneuvering four or five DP’s was an interesting experience [not quite in the Chinese sense] that soon became natural. Ditto the Magic Loop technique, which is more practical for commuter knitting. It’s harder to drop an entire sock than to send a single DP somersaulting through the air and onto the floor of the train car. Ask me how I know.

And now I am tackling two socks on two circs, with the right sock being a mirror image of the left sock. At the moment I feel as I did on Day Two of GLM ski lessons, back when I was married to FirstHubby. I was OK on the bunny slope with 3-foot skis and no poles and maybe a 2% grade. And now you’ve given me skis that are 33% longer and poles and sent me higher up the mountain.

I wanted to get through one repeat of the pattern [which was rapidly coming back to me because I had worked 1.5 socks in Anastasia’s prior incarnation] before heading off to church. The bishop doesn’t mind my knitting at church; he would almost certainly have had a problem with childbirth words in the chapel. As would I.

Well, I didn’t make that goal before church, but I also didn’t swear. Not even under my breath. Not even when I discovered that I had knit the sole stitches with the instep needle, leaving the sole needle in a gleaming huddle on my lap and all four halves on the instep needle.

I am slowly getting the hang of this, but at the moment it still feels as if I am dealing with one ball of yarn too many, not to mention two more needle ends than I am used to when wielding a circ. Yes, still half as many as when I use DP’s, but those do not writhe and flail about when not in use like a toddler by the Hershey bars in the checkout line at dinnertime.

Are you ready for some inane fortunes? I was not. But here they are, courtesy of yesterday’s lunch. Too small for me to photograph clearly, so I recreated them in Word and saved them in Paint.



and



Who thinks these things up? Is there a room where burnouts from the 1960’s type nonsense into notebooks while another computer generates random lotto numbers for the reverse side?

No Brother Silver Fox at church yesterday, though I did elicit a chuckle out of Brother Marginally Grumpy when I went through logistics with the elders and told them I would do a drive-by fooding because the wife in the couple I had asked to bring the elders with them to dinner was under the weather today, and my home teacher [who doesn’t drive] was house-sitting for another family in the ward.

I ended up making a quiche, with garlic jack cheese, spinach, and cut up Little Smokies. They got fed, I get blessed, and the proprieties have been preserved. Woohoo!s all around.

No comments: