About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Tender Mercies

I have put myself back in spiritual Boot Camp, as my counselor did five years ago. Part of that is a more intensive study of my scriptures. I have grabbed my Reader’s Edition of the Book of Mormon and am diving into it. This is what jumped out at me Sunday night before I went to bed.

  • But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance. (1Nephi 1:20)

I read a lot yesterday, underlined some scriptures that, like this one, said, “Hey, pay attention, this part’s for you.”

I finished the second clue on the Summer Mystery Shawlette and am waiting for the next one. I also finished Fourthborn’s Fiancé’s hat and will take it to him tonight, before or after Knit Night. Probably after, as I think I’m going to the Mansfield group for the greater part of the night, and would then swing by the kids’ place on my way home. But maybe not, maybe the other way around; it will depend upon whim or prompting.

I tinked back the oopsed row on the doll sweater swatch and gently washed the crinkled yarn. Not sure if that will be going to work with me today; my bag is already pretty full. At any rate, I will be working on Annis, the shawlette for Willow. Can’t believe I am already a third done with the lace pattern.

I woke up at 3:30 this morning, puttered a little (wove in the ends on Fiancé’s hat), and put the unblocked doll hats to soak while I showered. They are all patted out into nice flat circles to spend the next day or so drying on the sweater rack.

When I awoke, I was ravenous, so I ate the second half of my Reuben from Friday. If you hear two small explosions in Dallas later this morning, it will be my ankles, exploding from the salt. As Cookie Monster says about cookies, Reubens are a sometimes food.

I’m glad that I took the day off yesterday. It was very calming and healing to do things I’m good at, and thankfully the yarn didn’t have other ideas.

Had a nice, brief chat with the new guy last night. His son’s fiancée had spent the day rearranging what had been the son’s room; it will be hers until they marry. Son was startled at the transformation, to say the least. She also deep-cleaned what was already a clean kitchen. Their family home evening activity was a jaunt to the Asian market, where she brought home all sorts of mysterious things, and my friends Mel and Squishy picked up treats for their own home.

Time for me to take out the trash and recycling, and to see what obstacles the men-at-work have put between my driveway and the corner. One day I had to wait for a backhoe to move, and at the end of the street was a huge Mack truck and flatbed that another man had to back up out of my path. I just smile and nod and wave at them, knowing that when they are done there will be a lovely concrete street out in front of my house, and probably a sidewalk as well, and the random acts of flushing will be a thing of the past.

Oh, forgot to mention that we had a wild storm yesterday morning, with hail coming down every which way. The guys were still out there with their heavy equipment, but they disappeared mid-afternoon, possibly to help out with the flash flooding over by the TCU campus.

Socks. Socks would be good.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I think I spend 90% of my life in spiritual boot camp. It's a good place to be and none of us is invincible.