About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, February 01, 2022

Jane Austen, the MCU, and me

I'm part of a Jane Austen reading group on Facebook. There is lively discussion on all manner of topics related to her works. In a discussion on Persuasion last year praising the late Lady Elliot and contrasting her choices with those of Mr Bennett in Pride and Prejudice, I felt prompted to comment:

(Me): Having been the (relatively) sensible one in my second marriage, may I suggest that it was exhaustion which carried Lady Elliot off?

(Another reader's reply): It could very well be... having to constantly humor a vain and foolish man, while managing a household and bringing up the children single-handedly, cannot be easy.

Word.

Last year I invested in several of the annotated versions of her novels. They are substantial books, both in content and in thickness, suitable for clocking the ignoramii at a distance of five feet or less.

Which leads me to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I have been watching British TV on Prime / BritBox / Acorn for much of the past year and a half, which has severely cut into my reading time, but which has enabled me to remain relatively civil under trying circumstances. Recently I added Disney + to the mix, because I wanted to watch Encanto and then Loki. I've downloaded a list of the Avengers movies in chronological order and have made it through the first three. However, Hulk's movie is not available for download. So I am about ten minutes into the beginning of Thor, which I saw in the theatre with Secondborn, and which is when I began to be interested, if vaguely, in the MCU. I've also watched all of the Marvel short films that are tangential to the story arcs. My favorite is the one where Agent Coulson accidentally stumbles into an armed robbery on his way to inspect the site where Thor crash-landed.

Tae-Bo for the win.

In health news, the amoxycillin continues to work its magic. Yesterday I logged on as usual, then logged off a little after 11:00 and slept until 5:00pm. Today, so far, I've been awake and at least marginally productive since log-in at the usual time. And, if my symptoms continue to clear, I might be able to return to the office tomorrow, which would help my productivity immensely.

The prescriptions for my maintenance and emergency inhalers are ready for me to pick up. But first, a nice poaching of my sinuses in the shower. I'm tired, because I managed to work a full day. And I want to curl up in bed with Thor and maybe even the first Avengers movie, which is where I stopped watching the movies as they were released.

I would really, really like about six bites of medium rare filet mignon. I think that's an indication that I'm on the mend. I would also like to dive face-first into a baked sweet potato with butter and spices but no additional sweetener.

Time to take care of business: i.e., me, since I've spent the day taking care of business at work. Thankfully, my friend S. jumped in and got me partially caught up today. That is why I am merely very tired but not anxious or knackered.

No comments: