About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Busy, happy, productive day



I finished the second sleeve on the Noro Kimono earlier this morning, and now I am knitting up both side panels. Both of these photos are blurry, sorry.



I decided that I wanted a little shaping, so I cast on 15 stitches for the hem, worked my six rows of seed stitch, and then did a lifted increase. I wanted the side edges to be as smooth as possible, so the first and last stitch are stockinette, and the increases go between that stitch and the next one. The stockinette column will disappear in the seams.

I woke up about 5:30, feeling more rested than I have for much of the week. Enjoyed a glass of apple juice while finishing the sleeve and ate bites of granola with strawberry slices between sentences. I have just enough strawberries left for tomorrow’s breakfast.

I also have five geriatric bananas in my fridge. They will become small loaves of banana bread before the day is over. Or possibly banana muffins. I want to pick up a handful of grapes and a small, tart apple to make chicken salad from the last chicken breast that’s in the fridge. And then I do not think I want to eat chicken for a couple of weeks, though one of the Hispanic grocery chains has chicken breasts 5 pounds for $5, which is almost more temptation than I can endure.

I might go there on the way home from the cannery. I’m picking up a sister in the ward. I have no idea who she is, but the RS president gave her my phone number and email address, and she lives about five blocks due south of me. It will be nice to have some company on the drive to the cannery, which is about 30 miles from here.

I’ve pretty much written off tonight’s dance. Have had a flare-up of the athletes foot, and as I like to dance barefoot and have no wish to infect [or gross out] my good brothers and sisters, I think I will keep my cranky foot at home. The other one, which had been starting to show signs of infection, has been clear for about a week, so we nipped that one in the bud, woohoo!

Just decanted the last of the construction waste into a box for Big Trash day and transferred the recycling that was under it into a recycling bin. This was the first batch I tossed into a bin, right after I moved, and I hadn’t yet figured out the color-coding on the bins. [It wasn’t picked up because I had it too close to another bin, and the Trash Dudes are picky. Can’t be too close to a tree, or to another bin.] So I can’t blame the Fixit Dudes for covering my boxes with broken mirror tiles [!] and dead electrical sockets.

Look at the bargains I found at Town Talk!



Mincemeat, 29 oz, $1.99. Minced sun-dried tomatoes in oil, 4 lbs, $3.95. Black truffle flavored oil, 250 ml, $1.00. Organic lemon juice, 16 fl oz, $.99. Wasabi ranch dressing, 8 fl oz, $.50. And two fair-trade chocolate bars, $1.00 each.

The rest of what I got was ordinary stuff at extraordinarily low prices, such as six of those nice Pillsbury pie shells for $5.00.

It is now 7:15pm. I am home from the cannery with twelve #10 cans of stuff with a shelf life of 30 years. If that isn’t a flagrant act of optimism, I don’t know what is.

I ought to go out and get more milk. I think I’ll take a nap, or go to bed early, instead.

No comments: