About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Yesterday was one of those days at work, at least for the first hour or so. My fax machine, the only incoming fax machine, decided to go on the fritz. Noisily. We think there is a roller going out. It sounds like a threshing machine that is trying to give birth. Regular rhythmic clackings, punctuated by deep mechanical moans. We called in a repair ticket, but in the meantime it is raucous, distracting, and irritating in the extreme.

The new admin whom I am training, is wonderful. We worked together side by side yesterday morning. She ran my scanner and answered the phones. I dealt with the incoming mail. She tells me that I need an assistant. I told her that when I left the claims office to come to work for house counsel, it took three support staff to do what I had been doing.

And by the grace of Heaven, most days I make it look easy, but I don’t do crowding well, and I don’t like lots of auditory input; I get quite enough of that at switchboard, thank you. And yesterday there were all sorts of good friends and coworkers who needed me, stat.

So from the moment I walked up to my desk until I went into the conference room to say this is my life, I wasn’t enjoying said life very much. But it got better. The presentation went well, and applause is nearly as refreshing as the Twix bar that one of my chocoholic friends brought me shortly after I got to work. Which I inhaled as soon as decently possible.

We got through the mail, we got through the lunch hour, and then I went back into the bowels of the office and worked at the data clerk’s desk. And I am nearly caught up on entering lawsuits, and I hope there are no further bureaucratic dramas waiting for me today.

When I checked my messages on the way home, there was a voicemail from Angeluna, telling me that there is now a Wednesday meeting of some of the Knit Night bunch at the bookstore next to Central Market. Would I like to join them? I would, and I did. I got the shoulder decreases started on the Noro Kimono, which was much admired. And I met some new people, and I pooped out about a quarter to nine and came home.

I have a new AC unit in my bedroom, very quiet and energy efficient, and I slept like a rock last night. And now if I do not hit publish and get in the tub, I will be driving myself to work for the third time this week, which will not get my day off to a happy start. I sat there on I-30 with two wrecks between me and the office [not grammatically correct, I know, but geographically correct, so stet (let it stand)], thankful that I know alternate routes, and wishing I were on the train.

I realized while running the tub this morning and putting another row on Juno Regina, that I will need to figure out where to stop the shoulder decreases on the Noro, or I will end up with a weird triangular flappy collar spilling down the back. One of the perils of design-as-you-go.

The Etsy goodie that I found for Middlest should arrive chez elle in time for her birthday, woohoo! Now to figure out what to do for Firstborn and BittyBubba. Now those are “problems” I don’t mind finding the solutions for!


Bonnie said...

I know what you mean about not liking much input from others at work. I can handle constuctive criticism, and I like talking to my friends. But I don't like it when my friends talk to me while I am trying to work, or hang around my desk and have chit chat. I hope your day is fabulous!

Jenni said...

I didn't have to drive in yesterday since I worked from home. The downside to that was I worked for twelve straight hours. And there is a holiday in this pay period so it won't be overtime. That's ok though, I will take money any way I can get it. Almost.