About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, February 07, 2009

This one’s for Middlest.

Firstborn had the link on her blog recently. [Middlest, honey, I know you don’t like country, but this one says it all.]



I bet it won’t get played at our singles’ dances.



Speaking of which, I stayed home from ours last night. Long, l-o-n-g day at work. First, the receptionist got called to her daughter’s school for an emergency parents’ meeting. Her daughter was not part of the problem, but there definitely was a problem.

Then I made a trip to the Post Office [the 9:00 run for the early mail] and came back empty-handed.

Next, the scanning operator had to take her daughter to the doctor and was gone for the rest of the day. So I spent most of the day either at the front desk or back at the scanner. And our favorite court reporter was in the neighborhood and brought in half a dozen or more deposition transcripts, which also had to be scanned. Once the receptionist got back to the office, she came back and helped me scan, while the data clerk sat up front and fielded phone calls.

It was not a bad day, just a long one. In among the depositions and the file-stamped documents from the courts, I had to scan an assortment of family photos that I keep on my desk. Remember when I did the “day in the life” presentation last year? The managing attorney wanted to use my presentation, and two others, to combine in a PowerPoint document to share with her bosses.

She gave me the most wonderful compliment, when she stopped at my desk at the end of the day. She said, “Don’t ever leave here. You’re too valuable. You can’t go.”

Now, you know and I know that nobody is irreplaceable. We shift; we make accommodations; the work gets done, with or without us. But still, so nice to hear. I reassured her that I had no plans to go anywhere, that my plan was to continue working there until they took me out feet-first.

I was not much of a conversationalist on the ride home last night, just sat there and knitted and smiled. I did pass around the skein of cashmere tweed that came in the 11:00 mail yesterday. And I called Brother Sushi as soon as I sat down in the train car.

Me: “Guess what came in the mail today?”
Brother Sushi: “A million dollars?”
Me: “Better than that.”
Brother Sushi: “Well, if it wasn’t a million dollars, it must have been yarn.”

I told you he’s a smart guy [and he knows me so well]!

I dragged myself off the train last night and sleep-walked to the car and managed to stay awake on the drive home. Then I nuked two small quesadillas and followed that half an hour later with some pigs in blankets, put my dishes in the sink, and was in bed by 8:30 and up again at 2:15.

There may well be a nap sometime today. I feel all-slept-out but not entirely rested. There will definitely be knitting. And I think a lot more cooking. It has been so pleasant, this week, to just reach into the fridge for a portion of leftovers, nuke it, and have a stress-free meal.

The next singles’ conference is going to be in Arlington, in April. The DFW Fiber Fest is the same weekend. I am requesting that Friday off and am planning to go browse the vendors during the day, because that is also the day that my bonus hits my checking account. Brooks Farm is one of the vendors. They are local, and they have great yarns in splendid colors.

Here is a registration form, if you are interested in any of the classes. If you just want to go shopping, there is no charge.

OK, I’ve made the first run-through of my Bloglines, had some breakfast, and now I’m ready to do a little work. Can’t believe I’ve been up for almost two hours already. Later, gators!

No comments: