About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Happiness is *not* a warm puppy.

Happiness is folding up one’s team-building shirt and leaving it at the office when one goes home early because one is (a) sick and (b) tired and also (c) sick and tired.

After eating my leftovers from Monday night’s dinner with Trainman, I felt infinitesimally better. After finding a nectarine bought who-knows-when and still miraculously in prime condition, and bringing it back to the keyboard to eat between words, I felt as if I might want to live.

  • Happiness is a cold nectarine on a warm afternoon when I have spent all morning playing the Depends game.
  • Happiness is being in my jammies at 1:15 on Pioneer Day and therefore exempt from sack races, taffy-pulling, and having to be polite.
  • Happiness is being thankful that I was sufficiently disorganized that I missed the train and drove to work, so that I did not have to hang around my desk all day waiting for the first train out and pretending to be well.
  • Happiness is a nap.
  • Happiness is voicemail.
  • Happiness is finding Lorelai right where I left her when I went out to the parking lot; maybe Thursday’s disappearance was her, not me.
  • Happiness is stopping at Wal-Mart on the way into work and picking up a tape measure and two boxes of flower-headed pins [which may or may not be rustproof].
  • Happiness is knowing that my knitting would be waiting patiently for me to wake up from my nap.
  • Happiness is my CPAP.
  • Happiness is my rolling chair.
  • Happiness is reassurance from my doctor that the dizziness from the Corn Pad Episode will eventually pass.
  • Happiness is a sweater pinned out for blocking.

You will note that the back, sleeves, and collar are pinned out. I remembered that I hadn’t yet attached the front facings, thankfully before I pinned them out and not afterward. I will take care of that small detail when I get home from the Bishop’s Storehouse this afternoon. I might be sleeping on the couch tonight.

Apologies for the funky color in this photo. Apparently when one has bright pink walls and red or pink towels on the bed, it makes one’s camera twitch.

I think the little yellow flower-headed pins were a good idea. They go into the mattress much more easily than do the T-pins. So glad that I no longer have a waterbed...


Tan said...

I'm glad you don't have a waterbed anymore, too, since you're sticking pins into your mattress.

Hope you're feeling better :)

Kristen said...

With my first baby when I used cloth diapers, I changed her diaper one morning while sitting on my water bed and promptly stuck the diaper pin right into the bed without thinking a thing about it.