About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

*Well* nourished.

Take a look at this. This is the sort of thing I want to do for my doll: French hand-sewing or the feel of it, meticulously finished seams, oodles and oodles of details. This is like the best of the J. Peterman catalogue, scaled down to doll-size. And then take a look at this; yes, $237 for a ball gown, and just look at the workmanship. No, I wouldn’t buy it; that would pretty much pay for Arie or one of the goat-baby girls.

I finished knitting Autumn Asters while at the doctor’s office yesterday. Well, I do need to pick up the facings for the button band, but that shouldn’t take long at all.

What a delightful day, once I got to eat! The digital mammogram is considerably more comfortable than the previous ones I’ve had. And then I ran over to the bookstore and flipped through seven new knitting magazines, purchasing the summer issues of Verena and Knitter’s. I had my well-woman [no bone scan this time], and it looks as though I have officially achieved the ’Pause that refreshes. I say, give it another year to be sure and then bring on Brother Right. As my late mother-in-law used to say, “Trust in Allah. Trust in Allah, but keep your camel tied.”

After the poking and stabbing and nuking, I was ravenous. So I called Brother Sushi to see if he was at work or taking a day off [you don’t ask, you don’t get]. He was home and amazed that I had slipped my leash. We met up at Rockfish for some of their excellent cream of jalapeno soup. I had the lump crab salad, with every intention of eating only half of it and saving the rest for another meal.

Oops. I pretty much inhaled that salad. We sat and talked for a couple of hours, and then I drove over to Firstborn’s and hung out with her for about an hour and used her cellphone to call the IRS for a payoff on my 2008 taxes; I still haven’t received my coupons for that. I had to use her phone because mine cut me off halfway through voicemailhell, twice.

And then I drove over to Cheesecake Factory, had dessert and a lovely visit with Leslye, came home, fetched my RS notebook from the clerk’s office at church, and bought a dozen celebratory chocolate chip cookies at Braum’s to take to our presidency meeting. We don’t ordinarily have refreshments, but I wanted to share my delight at no longer being a stockholder in Fruitful & Multiply, Inc.

We had a good, productive meeting. Various VT companionships created or tweaked. What a lovely, joyful day!

Last but not least, happy birthday, Firstborn! I showed her Yarnissima’s Brainless sock pattern. She gave me the thumbs-up on it. I have frogged the purple ragg sock back to just before the end of the toe increases. Life is good!

2 comments:

Robi said...

Reading your blog is like having a lovely one-sided conversation. I've missed seeing/talking to you over the years But this is second best. Robi

Jenni said...

It's a good thing you got to hang out with me on my birthday because how else would you get your regular dose of awesomeness?

But really, thanks for not putting a pillow over my head all those years ago, (multiple times probably) as we both know you would have been justified!