About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, July 03, 2009

She putters. She sleeps. She only thinks about knitting.

Yesterday was one of those days from the warm place, and I do not mean Houston. But I got everything done that was urgent and most of the stuff that was truly important, some of which was both.

I went to the temple, visited with a friend while she waited for another friend to prepare for one of the sessions, served briefly, sat again in the foyer [out beyond the recommend desk, where the comfy couches are] and read most of the fifth chapter of Alma, then sat there with my head down as if I were reading and thought about things and prayed a little and waited for the sun to get further down the sky.

We shut down the office at 4:00. I didn’t really get lunch, though I nuked my leftover fried rice and nibbled it while transcribing three tapes. So I didn’t have the energy or the stamina to go on a session; it didn’t help that I had had some Cherry Coke midway through the first tape, just to keep going, and it fizzled out of my bloodstream pretty quickly once I got to the temple.

I left about a quarter to six and headed up to Entertainmart, where they were having a sale: 3 for $9. I brought home the first two Spiderman movies, neither of which I’ve seen, and Runaway Bride, which I loved when it came out. Fourthborn and FiancĂ© are probably both picking themselves up off the floor about now. Both of them are mad for Spiderman, and I’ve always been meh. Maybe the Cherry Coke made me do it?

This is what I did when I got home.



Labels for my magazine holders, 14pt kellsround boldface on linen-textured card stock in my favorite shade of yellow. And this one misspelled. [I’ll be fixing that; I told you it was a rough day!] For symmetry’s sake, I did end up swapping out holders with the one in the living room that holds my cross stitch magazines and leaflets. And I’ve made labels for the box that holds my archived planner pages and the one I’ll buy later today to hold last year’s and this year’s.

The dragon is one I bought at Scarborough Faire. And no, her name is not Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, or Thyme. I suppose I ought to put her in the cabinet with my sheep, but she seems quite content to be hanging out with Georgia O’Keeffe on top of this bookcase. I’ve found it prudent not to bicker with dragons...

I don’t think I knit a single stitch yesterday, though I did wash two pairs of socks and block the stealth project. I think I was in bed by 10:30. Woke up at 3:14 for a drink of water and went right back to sleep and got up for good at 6:46. There will definitely be knitting on the agenda today.

I will also be there for the ribbon-cutting at Whirled Fibers in Duncanville. Middlest’s birthday present was given to her back in March, when I finished the February socks for Sock Knitters Anonymous. I have something in mind for Firstborn, and I am hoping to find the perfect yarn at this new shop owned by Monica’s friend. The only man-made fiber in that store is the nylon in some of the sock yarn. Fiber snob heaven! I can’t wait!

The yarn shop is very near a shop that carries designer samples, where I bought my black wool skirt several years ago, and which also carries trays and trays of buttons used by local designers on their wares.

Yarn and buttons. Be still, my heart!

I am also going to get my glasses frames tweaked [again] and have 1BDH check out the A/C and tires on Lorelai. Tonight my VT companion and I are making a couple of stealth visits to sisters. We just show up on their doorsteps and see if they’re still breathing, if they need anything, and if they have even the slightest interest in coming back to church. [Sometime between now and dinner, I will be needing to get in touch with my inner Steel Magnolia.

I want to hang up a few pictures today, but mostly I plan to knit. And maybe tomorrow I will have a pretty purple Namaste knitting bag to show you; it’s one of the door prizes.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Good luck winning door prizes and I will probably see you later.

Tola said...

i have heard it said that while dragons are NOT afraid of the dark, they do like a night-light.

nekokoi said...

spider-man 1 and 2 are good. don't bother with 3 though. xD Spidey3 could never be called a good movie, by any definition.