About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Daughter, the Enabler

So I woke up to an email from Fourthborn, with links to commercially-made clothing for the doll she is giving me, and a request for input. Which I gave her, in detail. I really like the faces on the Dollmore dolls; they seem to be happier than a lot of the dolls I’ve seen on other sites. I also saw a red Victorian fainting couch [pictured with a custom doll which sells for $1300 ~ no, girls, I have not lost my mind; I want the couch, not the doll! If I won’t spend $325 on yarn for a sweater for me, rest assured that I am not going to spend over a thousand dollars on a toy!]. I did see another doll that I liked, which was far more reasonably priced. If she is still available when I get my bonus next year, I would consider getting her.

One of the Dollmore males, approximately 80cm high, actually has the little moons painted on his fingernails. His face didn’t do all that much for me [I was always way more into Barbie than Ken], but his hands were exquisitely fashioned. Now if they ever make a doll that looks like Sean Connery in his prime, I’m a gone goose, but the male dolls just aren’t masculine enough to suit me. I’m not fond of SNAGs [Sensitive New Age Guys] in real life; blessed if I’m going to pay $500+ for one that has to be dusted!

I am taking my body in for its yearly tune-up this morning and consoling myself with cheesecake and a visit with Leslye this afternoon. The mammography center has gone digital; it’s supposed to be considerably more comfortable. I have to do a return-and-report with my friends at work tomorrow.

Knit Night last night was wonderfully relaxing. I am within two inches of the last of the colorwork on the right front of Autumn Asters, and then a quick gallop to the top in the dark green. I will probably get that done before leaving for the mammo and bloodwork and bone scan, oh my! Had a good discussion with Monica last night about wet-blocking vs. steam-blocking the Malabrigo, and we came to the conclusion that steam-blocking will be better. Which means that I need to add “buy new iron” to today’s honey-do list.

I have enough KnitPicks Shadow leftover from MS3 to do the stitching-up, and probably enough to make a sweater or tunic for my doll. I was so pleased to learn last year that it is not only appropriate but sensible to stitch up one’s sweaters in a skinnier yarn than the sweater parts, to reduce bulk at the seams. The Sunrise Circle Jacket is [I think] the first project where I actually did it. Shadow is a lovely, smooth yarn, and I think a double strand will be just about perfect.

Must knit, must knit, to drown out the rumblings of my stomach. Mammo is at 8:00; well-woman is at 10:00. I’ve been up for an hour and a half, and my stomach thinks my throat’s been cut. But there will be cheesecake and good conversation this afternoon, and I’m about to guzzle as much water as I can hold, while the tub fills...

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Hope things are comfortable as possible, as these things go.

nekokoi said...

mwahahahahahha! if i were a super villain, that would totally be my alias: the Enabler! xD

Rory said...

*rubs hands together* Nyes. Yes! All is according to plan.

We'll have you ogling the manly dolls yet. :B

Jenni said...

I also saw the title of this and assumed you were about to blame me for something. That is how I am used to things working over the years!