About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Nourished.

I drank at least a pint of Cherry Coke yesterday. Yes, I’d gone to bed at 1:30, where I tossed and turned for an hour before getting up and finishing the left front on Autumn Asters. I went back to bed at 4:00 and dreamed that I was knitting. And then I got up at 5:00 and slogged through the day on the dregs of last Friday’s Cherry Coke and about half of a fresh 20-oz bottle, plus a little real food to keep things interesting.

Only in Texas would the weather be as it was when I got off the train yesterday. Just the finest mist coming down from a mostly-sunny sky.

As we rounded the south corner of the train station toward the bus stand, the mist increased in size and intensity. When the bus dropped us off a block from the office, my scalp was getting a fat raindrop roughly every ten seconds. It was not a good hair day, but it was a good day nonetheless. I was remarkably productive at work, and I spent an hour or so putting together the semi-annual self evaluation for my performance review and emailing it to the office manager.

More good stuff:
1. Trainman was on the same train.
2. Both of us were wearing pale yellow shirts; we were almost twinkies.
3. I had arrived at the station early enough to park under the freeway, so my car was deliciously cool when I got back.
4. We tried to eat at Nonna Tata, but they were closed. So we ate at Benito’s.
5. I have a ton of leftovers, enough for dinner tonight or tomorrow.
6. After dinner we went back to the station so I could pick up Lorelai, but also to meet LadyZen as she got off her train and give her hugs.
7. I am about an inch above the beginning of the armscye shaping, as we speak.
8. I was in bed by 9:30 last night.
9. I slept like a rock.

I should have allowed one less row between buttonholes while tweaking the front to allow for five buttons instead of four. I had to fudge the top buttonhole a mite, but the collar should make that less obvious.

I am torn between driving in so I could bring home the ergonomic keyboard one of my friends no longer needs on his home computer ~ it is definitely bigger than a breadbox, as the saying goes, and will not fit into my knitting bag ~ and riding the train so I can savor those two extra hours of knitting. Finish-itis is upon me, to the point where eating and sleeping are becoming a nuisance. Though strangely, I didn’t [much] miss my knitting while eating Mexican food with Trainman last night, but we had some catching-up to do after his week on vacation.

When I went to bed last night, I was seriously contemplating skipping Knit Night tonight in favor of coming home and going straight to bed. The jury’s still out on that one. I need my chicks-with-sticks time, and this respiratory yuck is sapping my energy. Trainman was honking, too. I am mostly coughing and hacking. The office manager called out mid-afternoon, “Lynn, is that you? Are you all right?”

“I’ll live.” At the moment that is more mission statement or pure wishing, than reality. I don’t feel as stuporous as I did last Friday, but I am still only functioning on about two and a half cylinders this morning. I need to buy more Puffs. And maybe while I am in Arlington tomorrow for the annual physical exams, I will stop off at the Chinese herbalist and pick up a fresh bottle of ba nguyen.

When we are going to be out of the office, we are supposed to notify our team, in writing, two days in advance. This is what I sent out yesterday:

I will be out all day Wednesday for my annual physical. I will be back on Thursday, unless I cough during my EKG and they send me over for a stress test and I get the same incredibly handsome tech I had the last time that happened, in which case I may be calling you from the Chapel of the Chimes.

[Just wanted to see if any of you actually read these.]

Sometime this week I need to wash that infernal team-building T-shirt; I got banana on it last Friday. [Oh man, when stuff like that makes it into a draft, I know it’s time to hit publish and go do something else.] Mmm, knitting...

No comments: