About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, March 22, 2010

My Guilty Habit

That would be Franklin Habit, otherwise known as The Panopticon. His blog is one of my guilty pleasures. The man has a mordant wit, an imaginary pet sheep named Dolores who could give Mae West a run for her money (and who has her own pet: a ball of sock yarn named Harry, whom she terrorizes on a regular basis). He knits amazing lace. His skills as a photographer are no less impressive than his writing. And he is easy on the eyes. He is also (a) too young for me and (b) gay.

It is always a happy day when Franklin posts. This is not one of his Dolores posts, but it is pure-dee Franklin, as we say here in Texas.

He will be teaching at DFW Fiber Fest in a couple of weeks. I only found out about it at Knit Night last Tuesday. His photography class is sold out. His lace knitting class is not. However, it is not in the budget this year. [Year after next, if all goes according to plan, I can take a class from him anywhere in the country if I so desire.]

Plus that is the same weekend as Main Street Arts Festival, which is free, and which is where you will find me, knitting needles in hand, chatting up the artists and collecting business cards.

Yesterday was one of the most splendid Sabbaths in recent memory. Breathing was not an issue. Choir practice was pure bliss; I was on key and in full voice! I handed out most of the new VT routes and made appointments for my own teaching. After church I followed the Young Men’s president and his wife (the Young Women’s president) to a nearby nursing home where he and a couple of the young men brought the sacrament to a member who currently cannot come out to church. It was her birthday.

Lots of knitting progress, too. I need to walk 20 steps and try the skirt on Celeste. I think I may be decreasing at too slow a rate and might need to frog back a few inches and try again. Hang on a minute...

Actually, it fits just fine through the hip and thighs. Though I will definitely need to add shirring elastic to the ribbing at the waistline, because it is too large there and the yarn is inelastic (does not pull in sufficiently). She will need different underwear; what she’s wearing is bunching at the hip. The skirt is about an inch above her knees at this point, so I will be making it several inches longer and then finishing with that glorious flounce at the hem.

Four three rounds until the next decreases. But I think I’m sleepy enough to go back to bed now.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

With whom are you attending the Main Street shindig? I would love to go if you're not already totally booked up. Let me know...