About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Taking a Little Spin

“Blessed are they who go in circles, for they shall be known as wheels.” Yesterday I stepped off the merry-go-round and did only that which was needful.

I went to the battery store: nice people, and they are closed on Sundays, which gives them extra points in this woman’s book. From there I went to the bread thrift store, then doubled back to grab bargains at the la-di-dah grocery. I came home with two cartons each of raspberries and blackberries, a bag of clementines, 16 Easy-Macs in two flavors, eight cans of turkey chili, and something new to try: a 32-oz carton of almond milk. If I like the taste, it might be a sensible addition to my food storage, in lieu of part of the recommended amount of powdered milk.

That grocery store is just around the corner from my branch library, where I checked out two audiobooks: Neil Gaiman’s Anansi Boys, and Anne Tyler’s The Amateur Marriage, which I might have already read, but I think not.

Thence to The French Knot, a wonderful needlepoint shop which is spitting distance from Lucille’s (home of the exquisite lobster bisque, but I managed to exercise some restraint). I bought a card of the palest peach 4mm Japanese silk ribbon, to lace up the back of Celeste’s skirt. I also special-ordered another hank of handpainted silk ribbon in a slightly larger width (7mm), which I think I will like even better: a rich cream that has been spattered with a color which is on the cusp of terracotta and rose. And which I realized I probably could have done at home. I have silk ribbon (if inaccessible), silk paints, and at least one toothbrush which I could sacrifice for the cause.

On the other hand, I am supporting local business, and that is a good thing, too.

Then I came home and put stuff away, ate a little leftover banana bread, and headed out to the scratch-and-dent grocery store. As I posted on Facebook, 2# of Brie for $3.99, 1.41# of Monterey Jack for $2.81, a nice wedge of Gouda, all for the Relief Society 2nd Annual Service Auction next Tuesday night. And a slightly smaller amount of cheese for chez Ravelled.

My fridge looks amazing. So, for that matter, does the compost pile [or perhaps merely appalling]. For dinner last night I broke out the roasting bags and roasted about 3# of potatoes and a medium bag of baby carrots (1#?) in olive oil and fresh rosemary and sea salt. While it was cooking, I had some graham crackers and milk. I seem to be on a “life is uncertain; eat dessert first” kick. There will be no dearth of vegetables at dinner for the next few days. Heavenly!

Because I now have functional batteries for my camera, here is a hyacinth for the soul:



When I get around to making the blouse from that bit of silk dupioni that I bought while waiting for Jessica to arrive, I’ll show you the finished skirt on Celeste. But her current sweater is absolutely the wrong color to go with the skirt, so you’ll just have to wait.

I knit for an hour or so while listening to Anansi Boys. Thus far, I like it. I picked up the current doll beret, but since it may eventually be sold, it’s not suitable for church knitting. So I need to come up with something else to keep me awake and alert today.

No comments: