About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pillage, *then* burn!

This post, #1066, is in honor of William the Conqueror (also known as William the B-----d, according to Sharon Kay Penman) but titled more in the spirit of anonymous and not particularly bright ruffians, because I remember a cartoon where a big guy in a Viking helmet was leading a class and making one of his students write on the board:

“Pillage, then burn.”
“Pillage, then burn.”
“Pillage, then burn.”
(etc.)

Murr gave me my first laugh of the day, yesterday. This will probably be funnier to women than to men. (To my children who skim-and-run when they read my posts: definitely worth your time, but not with a mouthful of milk.)

I commented on her blog that this begs for a T-shirt. Just not sure that I have enough brain cells to rub together, to come up with the punchline.

I had the first half of my temple recommend renewal interview last night. I sat and waited while the regularly scheduled appointments ran their course, and it was after 10:00 by the time I walked into Bishop’s office. Thankfully, I had my knitting with me, and more out in the car if I finished that project, so I was fine, and I got to visit with several friends that I don’t see often enough, or get enough time on Sundays to visit with. So it was a really great evening, if an extraordinarily long one.

And then I came home, and NintendoMan was online, and we chatted a bit until Facebook froze on us, so we talked until I had to plug my phone in, and we talked a couple minutes more after I got it plugged in (just in the nick of time), but we were both too tired to flirt. Yep, the bane of middle-aged romance is not disapproving children but the need for sleep.

He will not be home on my birthday, either; he has a gig, and (strangely) I am fine with that. He will be in town on one of the days I am taking off before my birthday, and I’m going to get my bid in for some, umm, face time. [Take that any way you like.]

MovieMom had a link to a slide show of ten movies which celebrate marriage. I’ve seen some of those movies; others I haven’t and won’t, because of their topic or their rating. One of the slides has a line from “When Harry Met Sally” that I really liked, something about when you meet the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, you can’t wait for the rest of your life to begin.

So, this post begins with pillaging and ends with love. Those are the big two, the ones in which all is allegedly fair. The kids are plotting mischief around the time of my birthday. [Given the guest list, there might be some of both that night.] Can’t wait!

No comments: