About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, March 15, 2010

One of the great things about blogging...

...at least for us creative types, is the occasional glimpse into another artist/artisan’s creative process. Anne Hanson designs amazing scarves and shawls. Her blog, knitspot, remains one of my favorites. In this post she solves a problem: what do you do when you need 40 yards of yarn to finish a project? And the yarn you are using is handspun, and you have used up every last strand of the fiber that went into it? Here’s how.

Graham crackers. I love them. Plain, honey, cinnamon, it makes no difference. Give me a mug of milk and a sleeve of crackers, and five decades slip away. Yes, I dunk them; don’t you? There is an art in how long to leave them in the milk, before they mudslide into the bottom of your mug and you have to go find a spoon. And never mind the two full crackers = one serving nonsense. If you don’t eat enough to wake you in the middle of the night for a sprint down the hall, there’s no sense even starting.

I may have figured out a church knitting project. I grabbed the untouched ball of Hempathy and my bag of DP’s and guesstimated 72 stitches for the waistband of a doll skirt. I've worked five rounds of K1P1 ribbing, which in a non-wool yarn is not particularly springy. And I’ve learned that my wrist is about 1cm larger than Celeste’s waist, which will be handy for fittings when she’s at home and I’m away. The increase from my wrist to my thumb also approximates the curve from her waist to her hip. I will probably need to thread shirring elastic through the ribbing to perfect the fit. But I am going to tackle Intolerable Cruelty, which I think is witty and just on the cusp of bad taste for a human, but OK for a doll. And the large size requires three times as many stitches as I have cast on, so if I take those numbers and divide by three, both lengthwise and crosswise, I ought to get a pretty good fit on Celeste.

@ Anonymous a/k/a Sandie: I didn’t say the first pancakes tasted “meh”. They just always look bland, and a little lumpy. [No dogs, chez Ravelled. No cats, either, as one of my girls is allergic. Just me, myself, and I, and the occasional “meh” pancake.] Just had a plate of re-warmed pancakes, every bit as tasty as the ones I had yesterday and nowhere near as much work.

Lots of lovely sleep yesterday. The nap after church was pure bliss. And then I puttered for several hours and went back to bed. No idea what I want to wear today, and no idea what sort of weather is forecast. Nor have I decided what I want to have for lunch. Doing a spot of VT after our friends have their dinner and Family Home Evening, as she works retail and has a crazy schedule.

I think tomorrow night I may be skipping Knit Night to catch up on the rest of the laundry.

I could drive in every day this week because of all the folks who will be out for spring break (and thus their parking spots will be available). But I just want to hop on the train and knit for that hour each way and let somebody else be in charge.

Good news on the breathing front: I was hardly bothered in our meetinghouse yesterday. And only the merest hint of a tickle in my throat this morning. I really, truly am getting over this stuff, and I am so thankful!

No comments: