About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me, I Live in a Tree!

I think some of my best days are those where I am, like Nephi, “led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.” Yesterday was one of those golden days. The only item for which I had an informal appointment, was visiting teaching one of our sisters. There were other things that absolutely needed to get done, but there was no specific timeline.

So what did I do?
1. a load of whites at the laundromat
2. returned my audiobooks to the library and checked out another
3. an aguacate torta at Melis for brunch
4. one perfect gingerbread man from The Bluebonnet Bakery
5. a shower where I let the water pound until it was no longer hot enough to poach me
6. visiting teaching with my partner-in-crime
7. taking her to the pharmacy
8. running by the realty to check on rentals for a sister in our ward
9. getting a call from Trainman, who has missed me
10. eating at M&O Burgers with Trainman and catching up on each other’s news
11. coming home and doing RS emails
12. sitting on the bed and listening to half of the first CD in the audiobook
13. going to bed at a sensible hour

A baker’s dozen of Good Stuff.

What’s on the agenda today, you ask? Well, originally it was an early-ish temple session with my ward, then catching part of Lark’s soccer game, ending with an afternoon session at the temple with Firstborn and Secondborn. But Firstborn has mom-stuff to do, and Secondborn has preparations for Eric’s viewing tonight and/or the official funeral on Monday (Wednesday was a memorial service that was primarily intended for his young friends). I have another funeral to go to this afternoon; I don’t know if I can do the early session at the temple and be back in time for that, and today I think the living might need me more than the dead. I may go to the dance tonight, depending upon how my foot feels, and how tender my knee is. If I do that, I could catch a late afternoon session at the temple and go on to the dance.

My nephew posted “Happy Birthday! Do something special!” on my wall on Facebook. I’m not sure that a funeral was what he had in mind, but it will probably be the most important thing I do today. [It is still better than waiting tables at a friend’s A&W when our business was dying in Fredericksburg. That’s what I did on my 41st birthday.]

You can take it to the bank that there will be knitting, interspersed with everything else.

Thank you, everybody, for being part of my life, whether you are kids or grandkids or church friends or work friends or train friends, or blog friends. You make my life rich and full and immensely interesting.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I love birthdays! Hope your's is wonderful.

Bonnie said...

Happy Birthday Mom! I love you and I'm so proud of you. You have really blossomed in you RS calling, and while I always feel that you have good direction in life, you really seem to have a renewed focus. I hope your birthday is fabulous.

Tola said...

Happy Birthday, my dear friend!

nekokoi said...

happy birthday mommy! <3

leslye said...

Happy Birthday sweet lady!

Jenni said...

I realized once I got off the phone with you that I didn't even wish you a happy birthday. Well i have been to Costco to pick up your cake. Can't wait to see you tomorrow. Love ya!