About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Now it can be told!

When my attorney and I were walking to lunch on Friday, he told me that the office manager had asked him if he thought I were ready to be promoted, and he had told her, “without question, unless you are giving her to somebody else, in which case not a chance”. I roared! And on his written recommendation, which went to Corporate, he said that he thought I had the capacity to become one of the best secretaries in the office. [And added that he (still) preferred not to share me with the other attorneys.]

So I was already flying pretty high when I came home from lunch. The office manager pulled me into her office a little before 4:30, and the managing attorney was sitting in the corner grinning. And I knew something was up. Needless to say, I accomplished nothing of significance from that point until quitting time. And I had to sit on the news all weekend.

They announced my promotion at work yesterday. My work duties will remain the same for the interim: the stuff I do for Attorney #1, all of Attorney #2’s dictation, and scheduling half of Attorney #3’s docket. They will be hiring somebody young and inexpensive for the front desk and moving my friend the receptionist into the back with the rest of us; I am so happy for her, and this will be good for office morale in general. The office manager really loves to be able to promote from within.

We have a secretary going out on maternity leave in a few weeks, and no doubt my duties will be tweaked when that happens. I am excited, and only a little nervous. If I keep doing the things that I know I should be doing in my personal and religious life, Heavenly Father will help me to learn the things I need to know at work, in order to succeed and grow. I could not have gotten this far without His help, and I am so thankful!

The promotion takes effect on the 1st of May, and my raise will hit on the 21st. This is a level adjustment on top of the raise I just got, so in a little less than one month’s time my salary will have increased enormously, at least by my standards. [I will be making what professionals earned in Boise when I was young, but that was a very long time ago. Shortly after the rocks cooled. And as somebody (Casey Stengel? apparently not, but that very last quote about blame is priceless; you’ll have to click through to more quotes) once said, “A million bucks ain’t what it used to be.”]

I contacted the credit union and asked them to pull another $50 per paycheck to throw onto the line of credit. And I am going to factor in a purchase, every other month or so, to complete my year's supply. I think it would be really cool to be obedient with that (finally, totally) about the same time that I am out of debt. And then I could concentrate on hard stuff, like learning to garden, and turning cartwheels.

Had dinner last night with Trainman, my nickel. An upscale taqueria near the hospital district. Ate lightly so that there would be room for the white chocolate crème brulée, which was mighty tasty, but still not as good as Brother Sushi’s.

I’m off today. No major goals; I’m just going to let the Spirit nudge me wherever I need to go. I am dressed to go to the gym, but the keyboard was calling my name. The bits of me that the massage therapist worked on yesterday, are mighty tender this morning. Thankfully, a good workout and a nice poaching in the shower will take care of a lot of that. And I have a great book to read while on the recumbent bike.

Relief Society tonight. Be there or be square! My second counselor even set up a Facebook page for us.

1 comment:

gwtreece said...

Congrats on the promotion